AVS Forum banner

13741 - 13760 of 13760 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Legally your HOA likely cannot restrict tv antenna installation unless you are moving into a historic property.
If it's a historical place, it wouldn't be up to the HOA to restrict it, it would be up to whatever governing body at the federal, state, county or township level the registered it as a historical place. In many cases though they are willing to work with you if you file the permits and come up with a plan that has minimal damage. (i.e. similar to what would be involved in wiring the place for electric, telephone or cable service)

HOA's also can't pull crap like telling you it needs to be out of sight when the best spot for reliable reception is usually above the roofline, or demand you use a small antenna that only provides reliable reception in areas with city grade reception.

Now if it's a building where you don't have control of the roof like a townhouse or apartment building, then the HOA can get away with restrictions. But they can't stop you from installing it somewhere you do have control, like a patio or balcolny. If you are in an apartment, you can try reaching out to other tenants and approach the landlord to see if they're willing to install a master antenna on the roof and wire it to the utility box to give people a choice for TV options.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Thanks for the input from those that replied. I've been offline. I came down with pneumonia (supposedly non-COVID pneumonia).

I'll be moving into a villa condominium. Would prefer to install an antenna in the attic and avoid any issues with the condo association board (assuming I can get acceptable signal strength from all the local channels) with an attic installation.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I too, would like to see the test broadcasts, but I fear COVID-19 can only push out the original target dates. Do you happen to have any info regarding which station might be first? Also, are the same frequencies used during these tests?
+1 On which stations might be first. Have any stations at least stared to update?

·
Registered
847 Posts
WTH is going on at Channel 2? There is a new carriage dispute at play with Dish Network that doesn't affect most viewers. But every time they play an annoying & pointless text crawl about this issue, the DD 5.1 audio goes haywire until the next commercial break.

Why ruin things for everyone?

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'll take a wild guess that maybe the text crawler wasn't set up to pass through the audio unscathed. I recently fought with setup of a sound bar for my daughter and found her Apple TV box was set for stereo output not DD 5.1.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Bragging time!

Got myself an early Christmas present, the Sony X90CH (Costco version of X900H) 75", Black Friday priced at $1569. Also got a shelftop pedestal stand since the TV's included feet were just a bit too far apart for the stand I've been using since I first bought my Panasonic 58" plasma in 2009.

Pics in order are:
1. Me and the new TV
2. The Witcher (Netflix app, 4k/Dolby Vision/Dolby Atmos)
3. The Mandalorian (Disney Plus on the new Roku 2020, 4k/Dolby Vision/Dolby Atmos)
4. NCIS New Orleans (CBS All Access via Apple TV app on new Roku 2020, 1080p)
5. Local news on KTVI (via antenna and TV's tuner, 720p)

Found a YouTube video from a guy named "CO Guy Stuff" with VERY detailed best settings for this TV and followed them almost 100% (the one exception being I have Dolby Vision picture mode set to Dolby Vision Bright instead of Dolby Vision Dark since this TV isn't QUITE as bright as my 2016 Samsung 65" KS850D (Costco version of KS8500)). But this thing is so accurate and natural I'm now questioning whether I had the Samsung set TOO bright for the last four and a half years.

Verdict: I'm a happy camper!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Hey all, I mounted a antenna in my attic back in 2003 that I only use when Directv goes out. Last time I used it I found certain channels (fox 2 in this case) don't tune in. I haven't gone up into the attic to realign it yet, but thought I would ask if anyone else has experienced this? I can't imagine the antenna moved, but i guess it's a possibility.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Hey all, I mounted a antenna in my attic back in 2003 that I only use when Directv goes out. Last time I used it I found certain channels (fox 2 in this case) don't tune in. I haven't gone up into the attic to realign it yet, but thought I would ask if anyone else has experienced this? I can't imagine the antenna moved, but i guess it's a possibility.
I just had this problem. Seems Fox 2 St Louis has changed its broadcasting frequency. Rescan and it is back. in fact, when I rescanned a couple weeks ago, I picked up 37 stations.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I just had this problem. Seems Fox 2 St Louis has changed its broadcasting frequency. Rescan and it is back. in fact, when I rescanned a couple weeks ago, I picked up 37 stations.
I did rescan and none of the channels I am missing showed up. I can't remember now how many I lost, but rescanning didn't bring any of them back. I'll have to get my lazy, old ass up into the attic.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I did rescan and none of the channels I am missing showed up. I can't remember now how many I lost, but rescanning didn't bring any of them back. I'll have to get my lazy, old ass up into the attic.
Strange. I do not know where you are, but I am in St Charles County and Fox 2 is right in the middle directionally of all the St Louis stations. if you got any of those, you should be aimed just fine. Make sure your new scan replaced the old one.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
So, an update on the antenna issue I was having where I was missing channels. I replaced the plasma in that room with a new LED. After scanning for channels I was pleased to see the new set found 65 channels. Not sure why my old plasma lost some channels, but I'm glad I don't have to climb into the attic to fix the antenna. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bragging time!

Got myself an early Christmas present, the Sony X90CH (Costco version of X900H) 75", Black Friday priced at $1569. Also got a shelftop pedestal stand since the TV's included feet were just a bit too far apart for the stand I've been using since I first bought my Panasonic 58" plasma in 2009.

Pics in order are:
1. Me and the new TV
3. The Mandalorian (Disney Plus on the new Roku 2020, 4k/Dolby Vision/Dolby Atmos)

Found a YouTube video from a guy named "CO Guy Stuff" with VERY detailed best settings for this TV and followed them almost 100% (the one exception being I have Dolby Vision picture mode set to Dolby Vision Bright instead of Dolby Vision Dark since this TV isn't QUITE as bright as my 2016 Samsung 65" KS850D (Costco version of KS8500)). But this thing is so accurate and natural I'm now questioning whether I had the Samsung set TOO bright for the last four and a half years.

View attachment 3070312
View attachment 3070311
View attachment 3070310
View attachment 3070309
View attachment 3070308

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bragging time!

Pics in order are:
1. Me and the new TV

View attachment 3070312
View attachment 3070311
View attachment 3070310
View attachment 3070309
View attachment 3070308
I believe that model is software upgradeable to ATSC 3.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I believe that model is software upgradeable to ATSC 3.
I don't even think it requires a software upgrade. Whenever somebody starts broadcasting ATSC 3, this tv should pick it right up.
so not a word about possible ATSC 3.0 test broadcasts? Seems like there would have been some news.
Not in the near future. Far as actual ATSC 3 broadcasts, St Louis is listed as "sometime in 2021," which could mean 11 months from now.

·
Registered
847 Posts
How will this work when ATSC 3 finally arrives? I realize a new tuner will be required for most existing devices but will it be simulcast along with ATSC 1? Will it use the same frequencies or must they be different?

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
So, an update on the antenna issue I was having where I was missing channels. I replaced the plasma in that room with a new LED. After scanning for channels I was pleased to see the new set found 65 channels. Not sure why my old plasma lost some channels, but I'm glad I don't have to climb into the attic to fix the antenna. :)
My basement TV is also an old Panny Plasma. I am using an inexpensive external tuner with it because you can plug a hard drive into it and it functions as a DVR. Ony disadvantage is the extra remote. Have not tried the built-in TV tuner. Maybe they have changed.

Similar to this if interested

13741 - 13760 of 13760 Posts