Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Quote:
jdiehl wrote:

The new pipeline packages will be:

-2.0 Mbps/256Kbps for $39.99

-384Kbps/128Kbps for $29.99

Cable modem rental will be only $3/month extra (used to be $5) and they will be dropping the $10/month add-on if you do not have cable TV with Charter and only want pipeline.

Until April 04 though, both packages will run at the higher 2Mbps package.
The 2.0 Mbps/256Kbps is very nice. :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
(Reposting from Sept thread)

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by BudShark

Anyone gotten a positive on ordering? I can't get ahold of my local office anymore (all their numbers forward to the main number now). I know there is a 'significant' quantity of boxes in St. Louis, but I don't want to wait until Wednesday - I want to take off Monday morning and get the box! I also have been unable to confirm that you can pick the box up at the local offices without scheduling installs...

Chris

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was told by Charter that they would use an installer for the boxes because they wanted to verify that the customer had a HDTV. They are afraid that people who didn't have a HDTV would be using up their limited supply of boxes????

Has anyone gotten a different story?

Bill

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HiDefFan
I was told by Charter that they would use an installer for the boxes because they wanted to verify that the customer had a HDTV. They are afraid that people who didn't have a HDTV would be using up their limited supply of boxes????

Has anyone gotten a different story?

Bill
I'm going to call today and try and schedule a HD box "install", since it's only $3 extra and I want to make sure I get one. Probably won't ditch my dish until Charter has all of the locals AND ESPN-HD, but at least I'll be ready.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
St Louis Tower Maps

For anyone doing the initial install of an OTA antenna, or anyone looking to fine-tune the positioning of their existing antenna, the attached ZIP file contains two maps showing the tower location for each digital station in St. Louis.

Your Right to Erect an Antenna and/or Satellite Dish

As more and more consumers purchase high-definition displays, there's increasing interest in arranging for receipt of HD programming via an over-the-air antenna or through a satellite dish.

Unfortunately with the proliferation of cable television in the 1980s and 1990s, many communities, property developers and homeowner/condo owner associations tried to undo the visual blight of antennas (and later, satellite dishes) from their local skylines. While these laws, rules or convenants were well-intended -- after all, it would be difficult to argue for the cosmetic benefits of a yagi antenna -- these actions are not legally enforceable.

The FCC has ruled -- with only a few very narrow exceptions -- that you have the right to receive over-the-air television and radio broadcasts and as a result you have a right to erect an antenna to receive these signals. This ruling also encompasses the erection of small satellite dishes.

Even if you have previously signed a lease or homeower association convenant that requires you to forego the right to erect an antenna or satellite dishes, the FCC has ruled that these types of provisions are unenforceable.

In general, there are two exceptions to this rule:

* First, the location of the antenna or dish must be an "exclusive use" area. As a homeowner or condominium owner, this would mean any part of the property over which you have control. For renters, this would also apply to balconies or patios that are intended solely for your use. The sort of rental property area that would not be covered would be general use areas, such as common passageways or rooftop areas that are clearly intended for the shared use of all residents.

* Second, the antenna or dish cannot be erected in areas that would create a legitimate safety issue, for example one that is dangling off a balcony or placed too close to electrical wiring.

The other notable limitation is that these devices cannot exceed 1 meter (39.37 inches) in diameter.

The burden of proof in contesting your right to mount a dish and/or antenna rests with the landlord, homeowner association, city council, etc. Strictly speaking, you do not need to seek prior permission or provide prior notice, so long as the device is to be situated in an area under your control and there is no obvious safety issue.

However, before taking on the expense and effort of such an installation, you should read and review in its entirety the following summary of the FCC ruling on consumer rights to mount over-the-air devices:

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

st. louis tv towers map.zip 239.162109375k . file

·
Registered
384 Posts
Just spoke to CSR, Charter has not waiting list or any way right now to reserve a box or set appt for install, reason is Charter has yet to set up codes in the their computer system. He stated that yes there is a limited number of boxes however the feel the have enough for the limited number of individuals that have HD sets. He told me that as long as you call within that first week you should get a box. He also said that I should wait till about 9 or 10am to call just to make sure that codes have been entered into the system.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Just posting here to move this to the top.

I definitely am excited to see what Charter has to offer. I'm going to keep my T165 for the time being - I want to compare its S-video upconversion versus the 5100s upconversion (which I've heard is bad)

Chris

·
Registered
5 Posts
Greetings,

This is my first post, I've been following this thread for about a month. I bought my HDTV 4 weeks ago and experienced the joy of trying to receive OTA HDTV. I ended up returning the STB after trying 3 antennas without a great deal of success. I was very excited to hear Charter will be releasing HDTV shortly. My wife and I were surfing around channels last night and found some NEW ones on Charter you may be interested in watching next Monday:

770 - HDNET

771 - HDNet Movies

777 - HBO-E

778 - SHO HD

782 - KTVI D

785 - NBC HD

Question: Will all the Charter branches have the new converter on Monday, or just certain branches?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Bannon - I do not believe so - welcome surprise if it does.

falstaffpac - Thanks for the details on the channels. I'll have to go home and look. No one is sure on the branches or how to get one. Sounds like (and I have also been told) that you will have to schedule an appointment to get one installed, after 8am on Monday.

Chris

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I just wanted to post a reminder that there's a poll surveying St. Louis customer satisfaction for pay television services at the following link:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=305733

There's only 18 votes so far, which is probably due to the relatively large number of options to choose from -- if so, that's my fault, but this seemed the best approach at the time...

In any event, if we can get 50 or so responses to the poll, I think this would have some value in getting a reasonable read on satisfaction levels among St. Louis satellite and cable subscribers frequenting this forum.

And now that Charter appears ready to roll out its HD service, I think it would be especially interesting to compare the final results of the current poll with a similar poll 6 or 12 months down the road.

Anyway, if you have time, take a look and vote and/or leave a comment.

The poll closes on October 7 or 8, and if there are enough responses to make it worthwhile, I'll summarize them here.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BudShark
Sounds like (and I have also been told) that you will have to schedule an appointment to get one installed, after 8am on Monday.

Chris
When I called today to change my package (to add HBO/MAX/SHO) my CSR said that they haven't been trained on HD yet, but she did tell me that I'd be able to come by their office and pickup the HD box (rather than have an installer bring it to me).

It seems we are getting different stories each time we call.

I also asked on the price, and she confirmed the HD box is $9.95, or $3.00 extra (if you are swapping it for a regular digital box which was $6.95 or part of your digital package).

She specifically mentioned to me though that there will be some sort of offer for people with multiple cable boxes. In other words, if you keep your exiting cable box, and add-on with the HD one, it would likely be discounted and not the full $9.95 (which I'm happy to hear).

Chesterfield office opens at 8am Monday, see some of you there ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just thought I'd post about a great deal with Dish Network right now...if you hadn't heard about it yet. If you are a current customer of Dish, you can grab their 6000u (refurb w/90 day warranty), with both the 8PSK and 8VSB modules, for $199 installed. (*NOTE* When the installer came the 8VSB was NOT to be installed. It was not on the work order so he said he couldn't do it. I pushed it, cause I had specifically asked if both modules were included when I called, and he called Dish. They told him they had to ship it to me and I had to pay the S/H costs to get it to me...BUT, since the installer had one on his truck, they just let him use that one. So no problems, but just a heads up for when your installer calls. May want to verify that everything is coming to you!) This is a great deal if not only for the fact that you get an OTA/SAT HD reciever for less than you can buy a dedicated OTA reciever for! Only downside is you have to sign up for a year of their HD package at $10/month...AND you have to have that reciever active on that account for a whole year. This wouldn't be such a problem...but the 6000's interface is REALLY showing it's age. If your familiar with the old Dish interface (pre-Dish pro), that's what it is. The menu's are slow and ugly...but for $199, I can deal with it. I was told by a CSR at Dish that even if I wanted to upgrade to an 811 (or any of the new HD models) when they came out, I would still have to keep the 6000 active and working on the account...oh well.

Only real problem I have now is local stations, and no access to HBO-HD. When the installer was here, he said that with my current dish, I could get all of the HD channels...but this doesn't seem to be the case. So now I have to call Dish back and get them to install the second dish. Does that make sense or am I missing something? Anyone have any thoughts on whether I should just wait until the SuperDish is released and THEN call in and tell them about my problem. I'd rather just have 1 dish in my front yard, but if 2 is what it has to be...so be it. Any thoughts?

And for the locals, after trying the Zenith Silver Sensor and the RCA ANT1250 for indoor HD reception (and having HORRIBLE results), I'm going to pick up a CM4228 tomorrow from Skywalker Communications in O'Fallon. Hopefully that will solve my local reception problems...or so I would hope. Anyone have any tips for installing a rooftop antenna? My roommate and I are going to go ahead an attempt the installation before spending money on a pro. Him coming from a construction background, and me being in computers and electrical engineering, we should have the required experience to mount, ground, and hook up the antenna no problem. But any tips or past experience hints for us?

Thanks alot guys for being so much help and I'll update once I get my antenna installed as to if it helps or not!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Jon - she told me Chesterfield office was 9am.. Guess I will try to get their early just incase your time was more accurate.

I got pretty much the same answers you did other then that though. I did ask her about the line up and she said the same. When I told her that DiscoveryHD was on the webpage and asked if it would be included at some point she did not know. Also, she said training was Friday for her.

Only other thing she added that I did not see you mention, a set of "starter cables" for 14.99. I highly doubt that anyone here would need them.... But I found it interesting that Cable co. charging for cables in the past they have always been free.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by raborj
Only other thing she added that I did not see you mention, a set of "starter cables" for 14.99. I highly doubt that anyone here would need them.... But I found it interesting that Cable co. charging for cables in the past they have always been free.
Actually, she did mention that and I got a chuckle out of it. I said I was all set on cables and wouldn't need them.

I guess they are charging for them since they are component video cables and maybe an optical audio cable? Who knows.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
All,

In the past I reported issues with jaggies on 720p material, but not on 1080i material with my Dish 6000.

A tip at DBSTalk.Com gave me the solution. I used the ADJUST feature in the HDTV setup menu of my Dish 6000 to move the picture right a few clicks. Once I did this, the jaggies disappeared.

So, if you have a 6000 and you have jaggies, try this out and see if it resolves the issue.

---- Side note ---

I should be ordering my projector and screen in the next week or so, and if I'm lucky these will be up and running by the 1st week of November. When the time comes any that would like to come over to check things out is welcome to do so. Perhaps we could get a nice HT group happening in the STL arear to rival the Chicagoland group :D

Regards,

·
Registered
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by raborj
Jon - she told me Chesterfield office was 9am.. Guess I will try to get their early just incase your time was more accurate.

Damn! It's incredible that they can't even give the same story on what time the office opens.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So you guys that are going to be hanging out at the Charter offices Monday morning to pick up your HD boxes: how the heck are you explaining that to your bosses at work and the boss at home?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Dave - I really hate to admit this, but I already put in for Monday off.. Tuesday as well actually just in case they slip by a day. I have loads of vacation time, and this is a great time of year to use a bit.

I have had an HDTV for a long while now, and have been waiting for charter to deliver on their promise for who knows how long..

As to the Boss at home, I told her that she will be able to watch soprono's again!

·
Registered
657 Posts
As some of you know I am employed by one of the local HT shops. We have partnered up with Charter for the HD rollout. As a retail partner we have been given a website access to sign up potential HD customers for installations starting next week. I am told that within 24 hours of entering a person's info a member of the Charter HD team will contact them to set up install of the HD box. If anyone wants more info feel free to PM me.

I don't think that this post violates any forum rules since I will not make any money on this service. If I am mistaken I will edit my post.

While ESPN-HD is not available at launch (October 6 soft rollout, October 11th the media blitz begins) they are aggressively negotiating to add that and ABC to the line up.

1 - 20 of 587 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.