AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off my apologies. I've researched but I syllable have a few questions. First on looking to spend up to 1500. My living room has some big windows so during the day there will be pretty good bit of light. We sit about 8-10 feet away. I've read about the filter peelingand buzzing on the sammy and the brightness fluctuating with the panny. Are the black levels about the same? There isn't any rise with panny anymore right? I just want a quality tv with a good pic. Thanks and yhour input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
holy crap, ive researched more on here and ive come to the conclusion that my brain is going to explode if i cant make a decision. it seems everytime im close some other lil thing pops up about that set and im not sure anymore. here is where i am. the gt30 is supposed to have better blacks than the st30 right? but also is more prone to flutcuating brightness. has there been a firmware fix for that issue from panasonic? ive also read that samsung also has fluctuating brightness? is this true? and i know about the filter peeling so that kind of worrisome. the reason i keep throwing the d7000 in there is that i understand it has a brighter more colorful picture that the gt30 but not quite the black level. the living room is pretty bright during the day. i think ive kind of narrowed it between the 50gt30 and the 51d7000 unless the gt and st are the same as far as black level. aaaaaahhhhhhh hhhheeeellpppp plz!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
The GT and ST are very similar in black level, but not the same, GT is marginally better. Rumors suggest there will be a fix for floating blacks for GT through firmware, but if you ask me, the GT30's real problems is its poor gamma measurements which may crush your shadow detail and wash out your image. If you can afford a 59D7000 that is definitely what you should go for though, just go through someone with a good return policy, you may need it.

I've been trying to make a similar decision myself. 59D7000 is what I WANT most, but it may or may not fall into my budget when I make my final decision, my other front runners are 59D6500 (same panel as 7000 but no Real Black Filter, which I hear is great when it doesn't peel) or 55ST30.

Happy hunting.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if panasonic does release a firmware to fix the fbr then that might make my decision for me since the samsung has the same issue with no rumors or anything from samsung aboiut fixing it

·
Registered
910 Posts
I have a 59d7000 and its awesome. Everything from the look of it, smart apps etc., and the picture is fantastic. My girlfriend actually commented on the picture looking good, that's unheard of!! I had the 6500 but sent it back and the picture is better on the d7000. The ST30 is UGLY, which scratched that off my list.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So now apparently blacks rise over time on the Samsung. Basically on the Samsung it's screen peeling, rising blacks, fluctuating brightness but awesome color. Panasonic is fluctuating brightness with a rumored firmware fix but poor gamma. I want to keep it in the 50-55 inch range. Does anyone know what the black level reading was on the 51d7000? I know that it's supposed to be significantly worse than the 59 inch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.