AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off please note that these are nz models and differ from other region models.

I have had in the past the vt20, vt30, d7000, d8000, series 6/7/8 samsung, hx720, hx850 and now the st50. What i have come to terms with is that LCD cannot compete with plasma when it comes to accuracy and i think my eyes are somewhat tuned now to what plasma's do best. The new st50 is more accurate than my still currently owned vt20 and previously owned vt30 but after side by side viewing the st50 with the vt20 i found that the st50 is not as bright with calibration set on both sets, i thought that the st50 was suppose to be brighter ?.

Anywho wonder what you people thought and also want to know if brightness can be increased via the service menu ??

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Putting the same settings in two different panels isn't a fair comparison. Plus what kind of content are you using to compare? The increased brightness is more noticeable in certain scenes. I would imagine on a full-field white that it will look fairly similar (unless Panasonic has improved that as well).

I don't have a 2010/11 Panny, but AFAIK, the new Pannys are capable of a higher gamma, so I'm guessing that if the gamma slider is set to the same number, then the 2012 Panny will have a higher gamma. Gamma doesn't affect black or white, but it affects brightness in mid tones and a higher gamma will result in a darker picture in that sense.

If you properly calibrated both sets you would see the difference.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel  /t/1418123/st50-brightness#post_22179568

Putting the same settings in two different panels isn't a fair comparison. Plus what kind of content are you using to compare? The increased brightness is more noticeable in certain scenes. I would imagine on a full-field white that it will look fairly similar (unless Panasonic has improved that as well).

I don't have a 2010/11 Panny, but AFAIK, the new Pannys are capable of a higher gamma, so I'm guessing that if the gamma slider is set to the same number, then the 2012 Panny will have a higher gamma. Gamma doesn't affect black or white, but it affects brightness in mid tones and a higher gamma will result in a darker picture in that sense.

If you properly calibrated both sets you would see the difference.

I am quite familiar with calibration techniques and some fair good understanding about flat panel technology with past experience and reseach on the subject so i consider myself fair experienced when it comes to calibration, i have even written a short article about software interpolation used on most led lcds that i have thrown around the net and helped people understand the technology better.

I calibrated both sets individually with the sub level shades as visable as possible and gamma set to level most accurate to my eyes and from test images i have been using for most of my previous panels. I also adjusted contrast to the point before it started to clip and many other adjustments like white balance (gain/offset) color calibration etc etc.

So with each calibrated with their own unique settings i still see my older panel producing a brighter panel, as i have said as well my panel is z which is different from the us and ue panels at least from the software point of view... Not sure if this is the reason for this...

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Do you have a meter? If so, open a 100% white window pattern (preferably smaller than 14% size) and measure the peak light output for both panels. If you do have a meter, you should be able to measure the actual gamma as well. To measure gamma accurately/consistently, you need window patterns between 10-12% and/or use fixed APL patterns.

If you don't have a meter and you're going by eye, then I still say this is an unfair comparison. If your ST50 is indeed not as bright, then something must be wrong, because every professional review says that the new Pannys are indeed brighter. I don't own an older Panny so I can't compare.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Iv narrowed it down to it possibly being abl, i knew my old display had it but it was so very minor. Now it seems to be little more noticeable and agressive for me now on the new st50 so i will either have to come to terms or do what i usually do and return it lol. Sucks being a perfectionest.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts