AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I normally use Custom mode for my 50ST60, but I decided to calibrate Cinema yesterday for a different gamma target. My output target is about 35-40 fL on 2% windows using Calman and an i1D3. Custom mode has always done very well, with test patterns like the AVS HD 709 grayscale ramps and steps looking quite neutral. Cinema was different. I had to jack up Blue on 100% IRE quite a bit to get the grayscale chart right, and when I viewed a test pattern, there was a substantial blue tint to the higher steps. This did not happen in Custom, and it doesn't happen in Custom now when I check. It's peculiar to Cinema.

Cinema and Custom differ in several ways, including CMS, light output at a given Contrast, but in particular, at the Contrast levels I use, Custom (67) doesn't clip before level 251 or so, while Cinema (62) starts clipping around 240.

I'm wondering if the clipping difference could account for this, or if it could be some other weird thing that is brought out by the ramp and step patterns. The meter is telling me Blue needs to be 26 or so at 100% IRE, but my eye says 8 is neutral on the ramp and step patterns. The window size I use for the calibration doesn't much affect the relative values of RGB at 100%, nor does trying Constant APL patterns. Again, this is very different from Custom mode. The base settings are the same, with all the extraneous features disabled, so the only setting differences are in grayscale, CMS, and gamma. Not sure how to proceed.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I've noticed slight differences between the two modes. Can't copy settings and go. Have to do some mild tweaking, including contrast. End product will look ever so slightly different when doing an A/B comparison, despite the meter readings being fairly comparable, but neither looks wrong once you pick one and watch content.

You issue sounds more significant, I'd do the best to calibrate both the same and see if cinema looks wrong.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts