AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to determine how to stabilize my new speaker stands on berber carpet. The stands included long spikes for thick carpet, but they won't work on the thin berber. I have cats that will definitely knock the stands (and my precious speakers) over, so I need to make these things stick. Any ideas on what I should use?

Thanks...

· Registered
136 Posts
I would use the spikes and fill the stand with sand.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The stands are the Sanus BF-31B .

The spikes are far too long (about 1.5 inches) to use on berber--they hardly penetrate the carpet.

The stands are open in the back, unfortunately, so that sort of rules out the sand option, unless I could seal it somehow. Thing is, they're also slightly open in the front between the two long pieces.

· Registered
1,998 Posts
Demon,

Having a 3 year old and a newborn, I had a huge need for stable stands. So I built my own. Materials cost about $100. Using 6" PVC pipe (have to buy in 10' length, so it's a little pricey), hardwood bases and speaker platforms, threaded rod (to run through the PVC and connect the base and platform), washers, nuts, black spray paint, Blue-Tac (to anchor the speaker to the stand), two 50 lb bags of playsand, and a little caulking to seal the bottom inside of the PVC so the pipe can be filled with sand. It was kind of hard to get a straight cut on the PVC, and Home Depot cut the wood to my specs. for me. But other than that, a little drilling, sanding and painting and I had myself a pair of 60 lb (each) sand filled stands that are rock solid! And the speakers on top (Phase Tech. PC 3.1II's) weigh 40 lbs each. Being as tall as they are they can be easy to knock over for a lighter weight stand.

Good Luck! Patrick http://img44.exs.cx/img44/7218/PC31stand.jpg

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those are great stands! Thanks for the explanation. Actually, the PVC pipe is an excellent idea, as I believe I can fit something like that in the back of mine. Then I can perhaps paint the pipes black, fill them with sand, seal them, and attach them to the open area in the back. I believe that should do it!

Do you do anything to secure the speakers on the stands?

· Registered
1,998 Posts
Yes,

I used what is commonly reffered to as Blue-Tac. You can get it just about anywhere, Office Depot, Home Depot, etc. It's usually in the tape/adhesive area of the store. It comes in a package of little blue strips (kind of looks like play dough).

Works great!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.