AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read many posts and all your benchmarks and I am seeing blurry at this point.

I recently bought a FP with the latest Faroudja DCDI chipset / processing built in. So far, I have been using an xbox to send an interlaced signal to the projector through component. Any thoughts on this setup?

From what I've read in your article, you seem to suggest that I will get better picture quality if I send a good progressive signal to the projector.

That leads me to my question. What would you recommend? If you have favorites at different price points that would be great. I am open to spending more if it is worth doing so. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
First, the XBOX. The XBOX is a native progressive device. When you feed interlaced to your display, the XBOX must interlace the signal and then your display will deitnerlace it. (for games) Go ahead and feed progressive to your display as no deinterlacer in the world can do any better with that source.

As far as 480p/480i into your display, there are many variables. I assume you have an infocus, marantz, or seleco. I would use either the 480i output of an RP91 or the 480p output of the RP56 into your display. (or Denon 1600 if you want DVD-A.)

I have no experience with the new Panasonic DVD players at the moment.

If you want a disc changer, the Kenwood has good video. It is a bit on the slow side, but still good.

I will be playing with a Marantz over the next few days, which is on loan fro a friend at work. I will know more about 480i vs. 480p fed in by this weekend.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually I have a FP that is not sold in the US yet - the Epson ELP-TW100. I believe it has the same or better DCDI chipset since it is a newer model than the ones you mentioned.

I have set the XBOX to output at the highest resolution possible. From what I understand, all current games are sent out at 480p, but DVD's are only output at 480i.

I am not interested in a disc changer or DVD-A (my Linn processor does not support it). I am simply looking for the best picture (and sound). Do you think that either Panasonic (or the Denon) will give me a better picture than the XBOX? I also have an old Toshiba SD1200 lying around - any thoughts on using that unit?

Both the 1600 and rp56 have only optical digital outputs. A player with a coaxial digital output would be ideal for me since my processor has only 1 optical input and 4 coaxial. I've already had to buy a optical/coax convertor for my HDTV receiver. Any suggestions?

Thanks again for you help.

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
Quote:
Do you think that either Panasonic (or the Denon) will give me a better picture than the XBOX?
Yes. The RP91 is a fine interlaced DVD player and it has coax output.

Select U mode. Then set contrast to -1. Also set display type to "Standard Dircect View"

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The RP91 is 2-3x the price of the RP56. Is the interlaced signal that much better? Or did you just recommend it b/c of the coax out? It is questionable whether the rp56 progressive or the rp91 interlaced would be better right? Is there any setting adjustments for the RP56 you would recommend?

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
There is only 1 U mode, but U has many pages, so seeing U1, U2 might be confusing. There is U, N, C, and F I think. U stands for user mode and it gives you all the tweak conrols. The other modes roll-off this way and that way.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Stacey -

First, thanks for all your help. I went to the store tonight and brought home the rp56 and rp91 for a shootout with my xbox. I set up the RP91 exactly how you described above. The RP56 was the clear winner. It wasn't even close. So the RP91 is going back and I'm off to figure out what to do with another optical digital output. I guess even with the same chipset it is better to do progressive in the DVD as opposed to the projector after all.

Steve

·
Registered
367 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.