AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the WSR D-Theater Premier yesterday and they had the supposedly first stacked implementation of these Runco DLP's. I gotta say that they looked pretty great. They were projecting onto a large, had to be 120"-140" diagonal, Stewart screen (Don was there too). The image was bright enough to go much bigger. I was suprised at how big the units are in comparison to my Seleco, they are huge.

Source material was recorded HDTV playing through the JVC 30000 and Joe Kane showed off his new Digital Video Essentials.

Now if I only had $50k to blow.

-john

·
Registered
246 Posts
WideScreen Review uses the RUNCO VX1000C.. with all the PJ they could have and use...WSR decision was to use the RUNCO VX1000C in their in-house reference room... Did they say why they elected to use the RUNCO VX1000C over all the other PJ's? Ron AZ

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing specific. They just said that they liked the Runco's. The VP of Sales and Marketing for Runco was there as well.

I think they use their Runco 9" CRT DTV setup for most of their viewing (rear projection setup). We viewed most of the material this way. It was also very nice.

-john

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
Yesterday, my wife and I took the 2 hour drive from the coast to WSR in Temecula. I have been wanting to visit WSR's new facility for the past year. The double stacked DLP was quick impressive. They had an HD taped segment from the Jay Leno Show that truly had that subjective punch. Even my wife was impressed and now wants a bigger image at home.

Don

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
How were they stacked. Ceiling..side by side or one table and one ceiling?

Was the rainbow artifact enhanced because of this?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They were stacked on top of one another and ceiling mounted. I looked specifically for rainbows and saw none. Pretty impressive and bright as hell.

-john

·
Registered
140 Posts
Important note: after the fact, WSR discovered that only one of the stacked Runco's was actually getting the video feed. In other words, all of the reviews already posted are in reaction to a SINGLE projector. Needless to say, the problem was corrected in time for Sunday's session so it will be very interesting to hear from those attending.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
Thats weird. I was at the afternoon showing. When I was up near the screen I look backed at the projector(s). I could swear I saw an equal amount of light coming from both lenses. They were showing the image on a GrayHawk screen (It was at least 135" diagonal) and never felt the image lacked brightness. Mmmmmm... Perhaps I am working too hard and starting to see double.

Regards,

Don

·
Registered
140 Posts
Don,

Both projectors were on but only one was receiving a feed from the controller. The error wasn’t dicovered until the techs started redoing the calibration and came across a minor glitch which required swapping out the controller. It was then that they discovered that the second projector had not been hooked up because they had already maxed out the IO connectors. They then replaced it with a newer controller which offered additional inputs and outputs — allowing them to get the feed to the second projector in time for Sunday’s sessions.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow. If that was indeed a single unit I am impressed by the brightness. I, like Don, looked at the stack and saw light emitting from both lenses. Anyone have any comments from the Sunday show with both projectors online?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Y'know, I stacked that Seleco and Marantz I tested and unlike with CRTs, it did not have that huge WOW factor. Two CRTs look many times better than you would think, but with two DLPs its almost a case of diminishing returns. Defocusing one made a REAL film-like effect, though!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.