AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to my obsession, I am once again going to try and stack my two NEC pg10's. Now I know this is doable as there are other forum members with similar projectors (Runco) that have accomplished this. I have tried Chief and they make no such animal Does anyone know of a company that sell 's this type or do I have to go the custom route? Also which Runco is the NEC PG10 based on? I thought it was the 990

Thanks

Johnboy

PS Special thanks to Alan, I received your package today with the parts needed for my companies DLP Davis....thank you very much.

·
Registered
24,883 Posts
Johnboy,

I'm not sure were you will be able to obtain this. I believe that Runco only directly supported the stack concept (SP) with the 980 ultras( NEC 9PG extras) and the 991 ultras(NEC XG110LCs). Other Runcos are out there in stacked configurations including the 1100(Barco 1209) but not with a Runco mount. I do not believe that Runco used the 10 PG as the basis for any of their projectors. P.S. the Runco 900 was the 6PG plus.

Art

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Art: Did you swap the red and blue crt locations in one of your pj's you have stacked ? I thought I had read somewhere this was a good idea when side by side stacking. Do the projectors have to be angled in at all? or do they both remain perpendicular to the screen ? I have a couple of 6PG's right now, and was mulling over setting them up in a stack, just for the fun.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Johnboy,

I once saw a photo of two stacked Runco 990 ultra projectors in France.

They were stacked side by side so it might as well be possible to get two individual mounts for them.

Of course it might evenbe that this setup was kind of "endorsed" by Runco and that there is a special double stack mount.

Gn2 is right that it is preferable to swap the blue and the red tube in one unit if Projectors are stacked, this totally eliminates color shift.

On another note I would be careful to go through all the pain to get these two beasts to the ceiling without trying the double stack beforehand with the projectors floor mounted - perhaps you will give up your endeavor very quick.

Also, side-by-side stacking my not be a good option for the 10PG as you will run some adjustments out of the safe range, which may lead to failure of certain boards in the projector, perhaps stacking the two projectors on top of each other will be possible, it is certainly preferable to protect the electronics from extreme adjustments.

Oliver Klohs

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Now, this is just a thought and as I'm new to NEC, this shouldn't be taken to heart. I would think that you should set it up on the ground first and get it setup perfectly as you will be doing a tight balanceing act between lowest possible setup numbers and maximum phosphor useage. The outer most tubes would require the most correction. I'm curious as to how much of an improvment can be had with a side by side installation. It would seem that the extreme keystone required for the outer most tubes would dictate a smaller over all raster size. I'll be the first to admit that Art's setup is very cool looking (which is an understatement) and I am sure it works great but if your looking for the ultimate in performance it would seem that an over/under configuration would allow the most phosphor useage with minimal correction. The WOW factor of those two Runco's side by side is excuse enough to try it that way. Jeeze, I'd be happy to go see Art's setup and wouldn't even ask him to turn it on.

Chip S.

·
Registered
24,883 Posts
Johnboy,

The comments from Oliver and stefuel are correct. When I purchased my set up over five years ago it was sold by Runco as 980 ultra SP( for stacked pair) and they provided a mount to orient the the PJs correctly, slightly angled to the screen. My set up is maintained by a true wizard Ken Whitcomb (D6500Ken on the forum). He maintains several stacked CRT set ups now including a 991 ultra pair and an 1100 stack that I know of since he has mentioned them to me recently. The comment about over and under stressing things less is most valuable since Ken has shared with me that the 1100s can't be stacked side by side due to lack of convergence range. Gn2,I do not have swapped red and green tubes although I have heard that this will improve performance in the color shifting issues as you mentioned .

Art

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi,

Sorry for not responding quickly, Art, I tried calling Runco but no help I'm curious do you have a photo of the stack bracket by any chance? if you read my thread about no two ISF's are alike you know what I've been recently up to. Now that things are settled I figure I'll give it one last chance. Do you notice a color shift problem since your tubes are not reversed

Regards

JohnBoy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.