AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if anyone tried to stack two LT150s with a VGA splitter to try to achieve a better/brighter image. I would assume that calibration would be a issue. Would stacking the two produce twice the brightness? If one is rated at 800 Lumens, would two equal 1600? If so, would it produce a bright enough image to view with the lights on?

I read the other thread about stacking three with the color wheel disabled. This would be another spin on it.

I couldn't help myself, I already had a LT150 but ordered another one from Dell because it was so much less than what I paid for the first one. Now I am trying to justify the order to myself. I guess I am trying to average cost down. I hope it works better with this then with the stock market.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Can you stack two projectors and get a brighter image? Yes, there is only one drawback, and that is the reduced overall black level. This does not really effect contrast in and of itself, but the blacks will become "slightly" grayer. The positive side to this is that if you are watching a bright movie, as in Toy Story, fire up both projectors and get the most dazzling bright and vivid experience possible. Then when your watching a darker movie, as in The Matrix, just use one projector.

I was in the A/V pro industry for a couple of years and we would regularly stack several projectors to double light output in poor ambient light conditions. This is a proven method to increase brightness.

Two asides to this idea.

1. You would need to use a Stewart GreyHawk screen to offset the blacks.

2. Alignment is not difficult if you make a shelf unit with adjustable feet.

Make sure if you try this you submit a review. Very interested to see how it works with the LT150..

Thanks

·
Registered
846 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mcho:
Was wondering if anyone tried to stack two LT150s with a VGA splitter to try to achieve a better/brighter image. I would assume that calibration would be a issue. Would stacking the two produce twice the brightness? If one is rated at 800 Lumens, would two equal 1600? If so, would it produce a bright enough image to view with the lights on?

I read the other thread about stacking three with the color wheel disabled. This would be another spin on it.

I couldn't help myself, I already had a LT150 but ordered another one from Dell because it was so much less than what I paid for the first one. Now I am trying to justify the order to myself. I guess I am trying to average cost down. I hope it works better with this then with the stock market.
I haven't, but I'm going to try. Stacking will produce a 2x brighter image. I'm figuring the result will be about 600x2 or the equivalent of 1200 lumens. Probably light enough for low ambient light conditions as long as you don't mind your blacks going to hell.

Yes, convergence will be a problem. Yes, mounting is going to be a problem. Yes, bulb cost is going to be a problem. And yes, fan noise will be a problem. But it should be fun to try nonetheless.

--Les

[This message has been edited by arrow (edited 07-23-2001).]

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've given serious thought about stacking two... not on top of each other, but making one ceiling and one floor mount. That way, convergence will not be a problem, nor will the throw angle. Just make sure they're equal (but opposite) positions from the screen.

I think this would rock.

It shouldn't be too hard to align them to look right. You would simply need a VGA or component signal splitter.

Any thoughts? You could even put the table mounted one away except for movies or daytime viewing.

-Dave

·
Registered
846 Posts
Now that the LT150s appear to be on their way in about 2 weeks, I want to start investigating how I'm going to stack them.

So lend me your brains...

...Vendors for stacking mounts?

...Ideas for containing fan noise?

...Solutions to convergence issues?

--Les

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.