AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built some stadium seating that is 12 inches high out of 2x6's. My question is should I insulate the area within the platform or use something to deaden the sound? Keep in mind it built this in my basement where flooding is always a possibility.

Or do I need insulation at all and just make sure everything is solid and screwed down to avoid vibrations etc. ?

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Yes. Loosely fill it with fiberglass insulation.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
If water is a problem we assume you used treated lumber. Even if you did, you would be wise to get the wood off of the floor either buy using something like U-boats that are made for this purpose, or even something like using a few hockey pucks underneath to raise the wood off of the floor.

Whatever you do, you can't just lay in the insulation. You will need to put supports in to keep the insulation off of the floor. Wood or even wire strung across your joists would work.

Finally - use the Search function. You are a fairly new member and probably have lots and lots of questions. You will likely find all the answers and even answers to questions you didn't know to ask, by searching and/or reading some of the larger posts.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
If you don't your gonna think the Black Eyed Peas are always on your riser singin

BOOM, BOOM, BOOM!!! BOOM, BOOM, BOOM!!!

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I would pick up some painters plastic and line the entire box with it. This would protect the fiberglass insulation. I would also raise everything so if you do get water you don't have any damage.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I'm a big believer in having air flow in any area where there is moisture. Plastic sheeting, in my experience, traps moisture and could make the problem worse.

If there is such a big water problem that you are concerned about it then maybe it's not the right place for a theater.

·
Registered
670 Posts
As a note, i build sleepers in my basement. It only took 3 inches of space. I had 8' foot 6" basement ceilings though.

I ran treated lumber 16 inch OC one way and another the other way. Think TIC TAC TOE board, then 2 layers of 3/4" plywood with green glue betwix and a layer of 1/4" rubber. I have a dehumidifier that cycles air underneath. Then build a heavy riser and stage on top of that.

A lot of work but much safer if there is a sump pump issue that I have had in the past.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by KERMIE /forum/post/16980759

As a note, i build sleepers in my basement. It only took 3 inches of space. I had 8' foot 6" basement ceilings though.

I ran treated lumber 16 inch OC one way and another the other way. Think TIC TAC TOE board, then 2 layers of 3/4" plywood with green glue betwix and a layer of 1/4" rubber. I have a dehumidifier that cycles air underneath. Then build a heavy riser and stage on top of that.

A lot of work but much safer if there is a sump pump issue that I have had in the past.

That is how I built the platform. 2x6 tic tac toe method 16" OC.

The reason I bring up water issue is because just last week my pipe broke and the insulation within the area got wet. Not a happy camper about tearing it open to remove it all. At the time I knew it wasn't the best idea but was hardheaded. So now round two looking to avoid those mistakes even though I don't plan on them happening again any time soon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts