AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys what is everyone using for there trim for there riser. I want to put rgb led light strips under all my risers, (stage and seating) but if I rap my stage and seat riser with carpet I don't think the lighting strips will stay glued underneath. Has anyone had any luck with this. So I was thinking on some type of molding finishing strip for the lip of the stage and seating area that the carpet would come to on top of the stage. Do I get a sheet of mdf or something else in a 4 by 8 sheet and router it. The stage is curved what to do and how to. The seating area would be easy because it's straight but the screen area riser is curved. Thanks Mike.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Home depot had/has these U channels that I screwed into the underside of the riser lip.
Then the lights just are held in that U channel by simple friction push
from my build thread ....

I got this little project done 3/6/2011, 2 months before the 2011 Spring HEMI meet, others who have seat risers might like to see how this came out.
(originally posted in member Tupalev thread, as I got the Riser lip lighting idea from him and added the alum L channel as light blockers) The Tupalev Family Home Theater Construction Thread

Quote:

Quote: Originally Posted by mtbdudex

Tom and Mark;
for your HT when in use I assume you turn off the rope lights or have them very dimmed?

I finally added my rope lights to the riser lip, and with them dimmed quite a bit still reduced the screen contrast on the lower portion too much for me.
I was using the rope as stair step lights, ended up putting painters tape on the screen facing face which helped eliminate the shine onto the screen but still left it shining down.

Looks sorts "ghetto" if you stare at it, I'd like to put something else there to block the light from shining onto the screen but still allow it to go down.
(gives guests confidence while watching HT to enter/leave the area)

Was wondering if you left the rope lights on what solution you devised.

btw, I went el-cheapo Home Depot rope lights/opaque tracks, a 12' section + one 2' section.
Probably paid $20-ish total.

This past weekend, almost 2 years later from my 1st post in your thread, I added 1" x 1" alum angle to keep the rope light projected downward, and got rid of the blue painter tape I had on there all this time.
It really made a huge difference.

I was ready to paint the alum L green, but not needed at all.
It blends in with the carpet fine, and the alum inside helps reflect light down in a safe walking zone.
At full power almost zero light spillage now, its all directed downward.

I filed the corners so they are not sharp, a 2" lip takes the 1" angle nicely with still a lip portion showing.
I got on the floor to show detail here:

·
Premium Member
5,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That would work perfectly under the the lip of the riser then I don't have to buy any more molding!!!! Thank god just bought 1400$ worth and was delivered today. I think the 3m adhesive attached to the rgb strip lights would stick perfectly to that u channel

1 - 4 of 4 Posts