AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

It's been a while, as we took the summer off, but we're now back into the swing of the basement build. This weekend will be the stage.

My speakers - including sub - will be behind an acoustically transparent screen. In front of that screen (and the wall it is on) will be a small stage. This is basically for visual interest, as no speakers, subs, etc., will rest on it. The speakers will be elevated to screen level, and will sit on a massive concrete shelf.

The stage won't be physically connected to the wall, but, if I'm not going to speakers on it, do I need to worry about the isolation of the stage from the concrete slab? Also, I'm assuming I'll build this thing like a sandwich - pressure treated plywood on the concrete floor, dimensional lumber for the joists, then 1 or 2 more layers of plywood, etc. for the top surface. This is below grade and anything in contact with the slab must be pressure treated.

I've read a ton of posts out here regarding stage construction, but it always seems that speakers will be on the stage in those cases. Any words of advice?

Thanks,

Kris

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,118 Posts
Stuff it with insulation, use a double thickness top, cover with carpet and pad. Put something under the wood framing so that it can't rattle against the concrete, Like sill seal (foam on a roll) or tar paper.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.