AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering building a stage for my HT. Across the front my room (from left to right), I have my sub, left front speaker, TV, right front speaker, and equipment cabinet. I know that the stage under the speakers needs to be filled with sand. Would it be acceptabe to build the stage in three sections where the middle one just supports the TV and is filled with fiberglass insulation instead of sand?

Also, I want to bury all of my cables in the stage for a cleaner look. Is there any problem running through the sand filled stage?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Mark, I don't see a problem with three separate stage sections...and I would suggest running your cables in conduit/pvs so if you have to remove or replace wires you have easy access to do so. :D

E

·
Registered
339 Posts
Mark,

Someone else here did the same thing you are talking about. They needed to limit the amount of sand since they were on a 2nd floor which could not support sand throughout the entire stage.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Either run a conduit for the wires or leave space between the wall and the stage. This can act like a channel to run the cables in. Easy to install and remove as well.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Mark, BousquetP beats me to it. The person (sorry forgot the name) who build this had all three sections separate with each other (a smalle gap between them). I believe it's for the acoustic benefit.

Ken

·
Registered
319 Posts
I just finished up a stage this past weekend. I left a 1" gap between frame and wall on the back side, also left 1/2" gap on the sides. The stage does not fasten or touch the side walls at all. This not only disconnects it from the rest of the room's framing, but also provides a place to run wires if needed. I ran the carpet over the gaps so they are not seen.

Steve

·
Registered
95 Posts
What would be the harm by not including a gap between the sand and insulation "sections" of a stage? I have completed the framing of the stage but I have not left gaps as I was going to fill the entire thing with sand. However, after reading the above replies, insulation might be okay in the middle section but I haven't created gaps. I have used two bags already in the first cavity alone so my question is purely based on minizing the hassle factor (i.e. easier to buy, transport and carry insulation than 20 - 30 bags of sand at 50lbs each).

Thanks!

Steven

·
Registered
483 Posts
Just speculating, but there might be some carried over vibration from one part of the stage to the other. You may be able to get away with what you've done, but make sure that you decouple the stage from the walls so as not to transfer any vibration to the walls. A 1/2" gap is all that is required. The carpet and my skirting boards on the wall were enough to cover the gap.

I have over 1000lbs of sand in my stage. it was a biatch to carry in, but I'm happy that I went with the extra effort to fill the entire stage.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So you guys leave a gap between your stage pieces and just cover the whole stage with a piece of carpet. There is no problem where the gaps are?

What do you do with all of the wires? I know I could leave a gap between the back of the stage and the wall, but this still sounds messy.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Simon:

Yes, I have a gap between the walls and the stage (about 1/2").

P.S. What part of Aussie you from? I'm from NZ (Auckland) but lived in Sydney (North Ryde) for a couple of years - loved Sydney. I've been in the States (northern suburb of Chicago) for seven years and get back "home" every couple of years.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Once the carpet went on...can't see any gaps. Plus, the gap I left was around the parimeter, so not an area you would walk on anyway. I don't have a picture of the gap exactly, but this one shows the entire stage right after I finished carpet install.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Hi Jeeper, is there a reason why your screen is more toward the right speaker - or is that a camera trick? Do you notice any difference in spatialization?

How did you go with the Insulshield? Did you get some in the end?

Steven, I was born in Melbourne. Lived there for 29 years and moved to Michigan 4 years ago. I try and get back at least once per year myself. I've been to NZ...but only in passing through for transit to the 'states.

If you are ever in Detroit, send me a PM. We'll grab a beer, watch a movie if ya like mate. Unfortunately, it'll have to be a ****** Foster's if you want Aussie beer!! That's all I've found here!

Cheers,

·
Registered
319 Posts
Simon,

No camera trick...you are correct...the screen is not centered in that picture. I took that picture as soon as I finished my carpeting on the stage this past Monday (1/19/04). I have since removed the screen to do front wall treatments. Yes, I got some Insulshield (linacoustic) material....which I believe was originally the roll you had?? I'll be doing that this weekend...then the screen will be centered with the new stage (and the center speaker will be on a stand). I have a thread elsewhere in this forum with my theatre updates.

Steve

·
Registered
163 Posts
i finished my stage about a month ago and left a 2inch gap between it and the wall behind

the carpeting guys are coming in and will carpet up to the back wall creating a well hidden and easy access conduit

it works really well

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.