AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have completed the walls and ceiling for my HT. I am pondering the thought of adding a stage.

Do I lay down the 2x4 and glue them onto the concrete floor of my basment?

How should I insulate it ?

What should I use to top of the stage?

Thanks

Abe

·
Registered
3,991 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
I built mine just like this one and I am SOOOO glad I did(THANKS Ted).

A solid platform for subs and LCR is a must!

Roofing felt and acoustic sealant are necessities on this project.

Greg

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
I'm glad it worked out. I have a few photos in the gallery as well.

Please, I can't take any more credit than taking the pictures and building it. The design and specs are all the ingenuity of Mr. Dennis Erskine. I just put the Leggo pieces together as he instructed.

Ted

·
Registered
283 Posts
Abe, if you would like to see numerous digital photos for my stage/proscenium in various stages of construction....check out my link below. I added comments to most of my photos that walk you through the process. Ted's tip on how to get the front radius is great...that's exactly what I did and it turned out great!! My photo's go from the basic construction to my finished theater.

Good luck, Brett

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First Question is I want to post some pictures here, but the IMG thing does not work. How do I do it?

I need to know if this will do well for a stage. I want to put the 2x4 "joists" on the floor decoupled. The stage is about 9' wide. Then insulate it between the on center 16" joists. Finally screw in the 3/4" plywood.

My question is: SHoud this stage touch any of teh FINISHED walls? The walls are also painted. What do I do. The two tower speakers are going to be placed in front of the stage on the concrete "carpeted" floor. They each have 2- 10" subwoofers. The center channel will be on the stage.

Thanks

Abe

·
Registered
306 Posts
To reduce low frequency transmission through the stage and walls, the stage should probably not touch the side or back wall. The walls of the room provide an envelope to contain the sound. Furniture, the stage and other things exist inside the envelope.

You should consider using a multiple layered design such as Ted White did for the stage floor. Also consider filling the stage with sand or insulation to help absorb sound, and prevent the stage from becoming a resonating chamber.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
I'm with settopguy. Walls make the envelope. Stage is a fixture in the envelope. If the stage will have a sub sitting on it, fill the stage with sand. If the sub is elsewhere, you could go with fiberglass.

Ted

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm going to build a stage on the second floor of my house. I am a little worried about all that sand on the second floor. Would I get any benifit by filling the stage under the subs with sand, and having fiberglass insulation under the other part?

Does that spray in foam (the kind that expands) do any good in controling resonance?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.