AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I framed my stage this morning and have seen posts stating that it should be filed with sand and other posts stating that it should be filled with Fiberglass. What is more accurate? What are the advantages or disadvantages of sand or Fiberglass in a stage? I will at first have both sides, the center and a sub on the stage and will eventually add a second subwoofer.

Also I have seen pictures of stages with a curved front. Any idea how the frame that and get the wood to bend like that?

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have posted several times about building a wood stage with a curved front. It's very easy to do. Do a search on my username and use the keyword 'stage'. Basically, you cut risers and extend them out from the front flat section. You use your miter saw to cut them at angles so if you looked at them from above, they would be shaped 'like' the form you are wanting to achieve. Then, you just use 1/4" plywood and bend it around the frame extension. Screw it into place, seal all gaps with silicone caulk or liquid nails and then fill it with sand! (I have given more detail in my other posts - do a search).

For a stage that will be supporting speakers, I believe that the universal consensus is that you should use pre-dried playsand to fill all voids. Don't use brickie's sand or commercial sand as it contains high volumes of silica (I think) which is cancerous. Also, if you use sand that is not dry, it will likely lead to rot in your stage/risers.

If you must use fiberglass insulation, you should decouple that part of the stage from the sections that will have speakers/subwoofers resting on them - and these should always be filled with sand where practible.

You may be confused about the sand issue with the requirement to use fiberglass to fill the riser for your seating stage. Seating stages/risers/platforms get filled with fiberglass, not sand. Front stages with speakers get filled with sand.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.