AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My stage lip currently consists of a 3/4" thick piece of plywood that extends out 1.25" from the face of the stage. Here is an old pic of my stage prior to the 1/4" face going on and drywall/trim etc.:

We plan on carpetting the entire stage (including the face). I'd like to leave enough room for my 3/8" rope light to get tucked up in there so I don't see the bulbs... just want the light to come shining down on the face.

I was thinking about attaching some 1/2" thick strips of plywood underneath the current lip to thicken it up, and then attaching 2 pieces of 5/8" quarter round to the face of the lip to make a full 1.25" bullnose. This should give a nice rounded edge for the carpet to go around.

My question is how deep do I need to make those strips of plywood(or mdf or something) to allow for the carpet to be tacked/stapled or whatever they need to do underneath? Would 1/2" be enough?

The carpet is thin (more business style carpet), but I am not exactly sure how thick it is (I'll measure when I get home).

Also, if any suggestions for how best to attach the strips under the current deck, and the quarter round onto the face would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I measured the carpet thickness, and it appears to 1/4".

Will the carpet installers have enough lip to wrap the carpet around if I do the following?

If you take the 1.5" lip that is sticking out from the stage above, put a face (or kickplate, whatever it is called) of 1/4" plus 1/4" thick carpet, that leaves an 1" lip sticking out. I then need room for 3/8" rope light, so I was thinking of running 1/2" furring strip below the existing deck, and flush with the edge of the lip to thicken it up, and attach a couple of pieces of quarter round on the front to give a bullnose edge.

So I am thinking the carpet would be wrapped around the bullnose lip and stapled/tacked to that 1/2" strip, and I want to make sure that the 1/2" strip is enough to attach the carpet to.

thanks,

a

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
The bigger the lip on the stage, the less noticeable the rope light will be. For comparison sake, I came out 2.5" and didn't worry about rounding it over. the stage lip is square and a round one may be your preference, but the square one did not cause any issues for the carpet installers as I thought it might. I think the narrowness of the lip you have planned may reveal more rope light than you want to see.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
For comparison sake, I came out 2.5" and didn't worry about rounding it over. the stage lip is square and a round one may be your preference, but the square one did not cause any issues for the carpet installers as I thought it might.

How thick is your lip? I played around with the sample piece of carpet, and it doesn't seem like it will wrap around the square edge 3/4" lip very cleanly.

Here is a hacked up drawing of what I am thinking (it is not to scale):

The brown part is the molding I am thinking about adding, the red is where I would like to hide the rope light. The arrow is pointing to the 1/2 deep strip in question.

My question is if that I want to add on the bottom is only a half inch deep, will that be enough for the installer to secure the carpet on?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
The lip on my stage is a full 2".

Seeing your diagram, that looks like it may work and in effect, you made a channel for the rope light to make it less visible. I think the carpet guys would be ok with that. Be sure to let them know your plans for the rope light or they may not trim the carpet enough to give you room.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, yeah the idea was to make a channel for the rope light as well as provide a thicker lip for the carpet to go around.

The thing I just started wondering about is carpet padding. Do you put padding under the carpet on the stage deck?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_hinni /forum/post/0

Thanks, yeah the idea was to make a channel for the rope light as well as provide a thicker lip for the carpet to go around.

The thing I just started wondering about is carpet padding. Do you put padding under the carpet on the stage deck?

I'm pretty sure I don't have any padding on the stage or riser.

·
Registered
305 Posts
My over hang was about 2 inches and the strip of wood I used is about 1/2 an inch wide. This is before the carpet went on. It workd great for me. I did not use any padding either.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Surf! From that pic, it looks like your strip is 1/2" thick... and maybe a full inch deep?

Did you end up running rope light inside that channel? I am not even sure how I am going to mount the light yet. I guess I need to get some sort of clips, and maybe attach them to the back of the strip or face of the stage.

·
Registered
305 Posts
The lip might have been slightly bigger....I can't remember. You can go to Home Depot in the lighting dept. and buy strips of plastic that are about 5 feet long that are for the rope lights. It is plastic with some tape adhesive on the back that you just pull the backing off. I think it costs about $2.50 for a 5ft strip or so. Yes, I put rope light in that channel. I would buy the rope light and the plastic strip and that will show you how much rom you need. I will try to post pics tomorrow of how it looks.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I decided against my original design and just went with the simple approach of running 1/2" x 5/8" strips of mdf under the lip. I think my carpet will bend around a square lip just fine, and I didn't want to worry about someone stepping on the bullnose and snapping it off.

I started out making a full 1.5" wide strip, and using a router to groove out a channel for the rope light, but due to my lack of skills w/ a router, I had no idea how I was going to accomplish this on a radius. I then using 1/2" mdf ripped down to 5/8". I was afraid this would split, but after drilling pilot holes, and screwing it into the lip, it was fine. I tugged on the strips, and they aren't going any place. Also, the strips bent around the radius with no problems.

Here is the worms eye view of the strips in place:

The biggest hassle was screwing those little rope light clips into place. Here is a shot mid progress:

Rope light installed and turned on. Flash is off on the camera, but the sconces are turned on a hair.

Here are more pictures of the stage . Thanks to everyone for your help. Let me know if you have any questions or comments.

cheers,

aaron

·
Registered
177 Posts
Turned out really nice, I might have to do something like this myself now. Great work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.