AVS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,747 Posts
Obviously the part of the stage where the speakers sit is the top priority. If your body isn't willing to fill the rest than you do what you can, fill with insulation. Are you going to carpet the stage?, if yes you should have a lip and it can be added after the fact.

Last comments, you should drywall the room before building the stage and risers, trust me it is easier and better for sound containment. Be sure the stage doesn't touch or is otherwise connected to the rooms framing. Also best practice is to put a barrier between concrete walls/floors and untreated lumber. I see regular plywood sitting on the floor. I would put down a layer of roofing felt.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately, I had a novice helping me in the beginning. The stage is only a few inches from the rear wall (concrete). I was going to seek help on what to do for the front wall next. I wonder how to decouple it; wall attached to the stage top after filling it with sand while decoupling from the ceiling?

I wish I had this forum resource when I had the traditional framer follow the design:

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,747 Posts
Frankly I'd rip it out and start over, it is that bad. I doubt it is glued so tight a crowbar couldn't get the job done before the first coffee break. For one thing lets assume at some point you want to convert the room to another use, the wall is sitting on the stage? no way.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ugg, I thought it might be that bad. I plan to stay in the house I built for my whole life so I want the theater done right. It's the only room I have left for me : ) The house full of girls (my wife and two daughters) took over everything else.

As close as you are to me, maybe you're looking for another client?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I see the shortcomings by comparison. I'm going to see if it can be disassembled to have it forward enough for a proper wall assembly with clips, GG, DD, etc

If you know of someone good near the Montgomery County Maryland area you work well with, let me know.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC  /t/1527088/stage-question-final-construction-sand#post_24600921

Frankly I'd rip it out and start over, it is that bad. I doubt it is glued so tight a crowbar couldn't get the job done before the first coffee break. For one thing lets assume at some point you want to convert the room to another use, the wall is sitting on the stage? no way.

I don't know much, but I've seen enough of his builds and advice to listen to BIG.

I fear I will have to move out and redo the rear riser as well:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC  /t/1527088/stage-question-final-construction-sand#post_24603296

I would, that may not be tall enough anyway. Risers should have at least two layers of 3/4 decking (keep it quiet) and be filled with insulation. Built on roofing felt of course. unless those were Pressure treated sleepers.

They are 2x6's on top of pressure treated with about 1.5"- 2" of gap from any walls. I'm limited to the height of the platform coming off the steps leading into the theater from the other hallway. There is enough room for 2 layers of 3/4" decking though. The pictures only show temporary decking to move around; its not attached yet.

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiddleton5401  /t/1527088/stage-question-final-construction-sand/0_40#post_24603321

I'm limited to the height of the platform coming off the steps leading into the theater from the other hallway.

Make it a two level riser, the entrance level and the seating area, use step lights if you plan on having guests.

I'd have to see the entrance maybe you could step up to the final level outside the theater first

·
Registered
56 Posts

Why roofing felt? I've seen that elsewhere too, but what's the reason/science behind it? Also, how far away from the walls should stage be? Does the carpet and sand just keep it in place then?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC  /t/1527088/stage-question-final-construction-sand#post_24603350

Make it a two level riser, the entrance level and the seating area, use step lights if you plan on having guests.

I'd have to see the entrance maybe you could step up to the final level outside the theater first

I am leaning towards a two level riser now as well... The first being the height of the last step into the basement, carried into the theater room. This will make for slightly more head room under soffits... The 2nd will be contained essentially inside the footprint if the initial riser to contain the 2nd row of seats at a higher height. The main riser, already being step height, would then step down to the first row floor level. I may still extend the ends of the riser to go past the rear of the first row.

·
Registered
56 Posts

Answered my own question about the sand - 

Quote:
Quote:
3. 4 or 6 mil plastic in cavity and fill the the top with dry play sand.
Q. is the weight of the sand what actually keeps the floor in place in lieu of attaching it to the concrete?

More importantly it makes stage accoustically dead - no/little resonance from stage. But yes, my 12' x 4' x 6" stage has nearly half a ton of sand in it and it inst going anywhere. My stage is not that large.

·
Registered
56 Posts

Dennis menioned in a couple threads I've read 

Quote:
 Be sure your subwoofer(s) is (are) very firmly anchored to the platform.

How exactly would they be anchored? I keep thinking that I'll just end up setting my speakers on the carpet for the front, and others higher around the room.

·
Registered
56 Posts

Ok, that's what I was planning, but I couldn't for the life of me think he would mean to literally anchor it to the platform with screws and such. But it is Dennis, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't just being ignorant. Thanks BigmouthinDC!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts