AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know why Sony stopped doing this after the vpl-w400q?

You would think that this would remain a significant improvement on low fill factor LCD panels.

------------------

David Mendicino

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
The delta array did a good job with video and low pixel count panels. As pixle counts increased there was less of a need for the delta array. In addition the Delta array does very poorly with computer images. With the price drop of LCD panels and the higher pixel coutns Sony just dropped it...

REgards,

John

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
John,

"As pixel counts increased there was less of a need for the Delta array." I understand what you're saying but, I disagree......with Sony actually! I still think that my ole 400Q is better at hiding the pixel structure than alot of the new lcd projectors and the new lcd's have twice as many pixels to make up the picture, it's an eye trick! but it works for me.

I also agree that Delta array is not good for displaying computer text and graphics but, if I'm buying a projector that is geared for the "home theater market" I would want it looking it's best for video, DVD, HDTV and the like. I personally do not care if I can surf the web or use Microsoft word on a huge FPTV but, that's my opinion. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

What is really keeping me up is the gentleman that had the opportunity to see the Sony 11HT with the Sharp 9000DLP in the next room. He said the Sony looked really good and that the pixel structure was fixed (not an issue) compared to the 10HT, but how? I have heard that Sony is using a new 16x9 lcd. If this is true maybe Sony went back to the Delta array!! I wish he would have walked right up to the screen and looked closely at the pixel structure. Oh well, I'll just have to wait and see for myself. I'm also very excited about the Sharp DLP, I hope there's no rainbows but, I'll have to bring my friend along since he is more sensitive to it. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/eek.gif

Tom

WOOOOOHOOOO!!! One hundred posts!!

·
Registered
779 Posts
Do you find the screen door bad in the sony 16:9 LCDs?

When I first started using my projector I was using blackout fabric and I could not see the screen door from 10 - 12 ft back. When I installed the Grayhawk the contrast improvement made it visible at my normal seating distance. BTW this is a 110" screen. After reading a few posts about this issue I opted to slightly defocus the projector. This was only to the point where the edges of the pixels almost touched. In essence this filled in the poor fill factor of the LCD panel. This did not affect the picture quality or sharpness and I could no longer detect any screen door unless very close to the screen. To me this seems like a fantastic fix with no compromises.

Regards,

Brian

[This message has been edited by btmoore (edited 08-03-2001).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.