AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just getting ready to begin contruction on my dedicated theater room. Two walls are existing 1924 era framing, two walls are new construction, already built. I am considering either building new staggered stud walls within the existing framing or using isolation clips and hat channel. The stud wall's a lot cheaper.

Does anyone have any recommendations one way or the other?

Thanks

·
Registered
971 Posts
So if I understand correctly you already have four walls up (old & new). Are they the walls that would directly enclose your theater?

If so, you can skip both clips & staggered walls. Just build a normal stud wall within those existing walls with an air gap in-between. That should give you the isolation you're looking for, no?

Otherwise, I think the staggered wall route is the way to go. Ok, maybe because that's what I did
. I did use the RSIC clips (DC04s) to attach the top plates to the joists above though. I'm also using the DC01s for the ceiling.

Andy

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.