AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somewhat off-topic, but I know there is a lot of trim expertise in the forums:

I need to trim out the stairs to my basement and realized that the adjacent wall is pretty wavy in relation to the stairs. I'm not sure to handle the trim here.

View from the top down:

View from the landing up:

I am planning to have the stairs carpeted. Trim is all white painted trim throughout the basement. My initial thought was to paint the existing stair skirt board and add a piece of base cap molding on top to hide the skirt-to-drywall junction. Since the wall waves out, the base cap won't sit flat against the wall, and even if I could bend it to stay against the wall it will leave a very nonuniform reveal with the stair skirt:

Any ideas on how to best deal with this?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy77  /t/1520806/stairway-trim-question/0_100#post_24434211

Is there any flex to the drywall in that area? Possibly not screwed down all the way

Any access from behind?

The bottom of the wall flexes slightly, but only because there isn't anything directly behind that spot for about 6-8 inches (the 1st floor joist bay area). The bumped out area must be from an uneven stud on the first floor, but don't have access to that area without ripping the dining room apart.

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,402 Posts
Grab some MDF or PVC base cap molding, it is more flexible. Bend it most of the way to the wall and secure. Then caulk the gap at the top. Paint the skirt and the molding the same color, You will have to live with the unevenness. lower the wattage of the light in the stairwell it won't be as visible, I can guarantee that you are the only one who will notice.

·
Registered
122 Posts

I would agree with BigMouthinDC, the only thing I would add is hang a picture of a scantily cladded lady on the wall at the landing so most peoples eyes are drawn to that. Or you could always have a 2 beer rule. Any one that enters the basment has to have already drank two beers before going down the stairs. With a couple of beers in poeple that wall is straighter than ever!

Good luck

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'd mostly agree with Big. The one thing I'd suggest is to use a piece of trim that is fairly thick at the top (like 1/4 round convex). That way you'll be able to get a decent bead of caulk, and it won't look obvious that you're hiding something. Are you painting the skirt and trim white? If so, you're all set...just use white caulk and nobody will notice. If you want to paint the trim any other color, you'll have to paint the caulk. If you have to do this, I'd suggest you put down some tape along the drywall to give a nice straight bead of caulk. Ordinarily you'd pull the tape off while the caulk is still wet, but in this case I'd risk leaving the tape on and painting the caulk the next day. Then pull the tape while the paint is still wet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts