AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had heard of this film several months ago in our Movie forum. I loved the trailer, but unfortunately it never played in KC, nor was available on U-Verse. The BR/dvd was released yesterday and I watched the film last night.

First, let me say I loved the sharp, film-like image of the upstate NY mountains and wooded areas where the film takes place. The image overall was terrific, with the exceptions of a couple of night scenes which were inconsistent with the other night scenes in the film.

The soundtrack was terrific too. There was enough jump out of your seat sound effect moments with some terrific bass to give the viewer a nice jolt. But for me, the real shinning moments were the daytime scenes featuring genre of music, I would call Americana. The beautiful scenery, combined with the soundtrack the sparse dialogue really created a dream-like feel during the daytime scenes.

This film is not your typical scary vampire film, though it does have enough moments of horror to keep you on edge and give you some jolts. The film for me was more about the struggle to live in a new world...think TMC's "The Walking Dead" and the film, "The Road" for inspiration.

I highly recommend this blu ray, at least for a rental. I am glad I made a blind buy, since I see myself sharing this with others (including my wife, who hates scary movies) and delving into the extra's (which I don't normally do). Jim Mickle is the director, I look forward to seeing what else he does in the future...loved his work on this film.

Ron

PS: I should mention during some of the vampire scenes, I was brought back into time to my days of going to the drive-in...there is a certain grindhouse quality to some of the scenes both visually and in the writing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I recently watched this on Blu Ray, thoroughly enjoyed the movie.

There's enough action and stuff to keep you on the edge of your seat.

Surprisingly I hadn't heard much about this movie, glad I bought this one.

·
Registered
22,560 Posts
I watched this one today. It's more or less a rip-off of every recent post-apocalyptic film I can think of. But it's very well done and worth a watch. Excellent PQ and AQ too. Good characters and nicely written.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes /forum/post/20864334

I watched this one today. It's more or less a rip-off of every recent post-apocalyptic film I can think of. But it's very well done and worth a watch. Excellent PQ and AQ too. Good characters and nicely written.

It is that.

I had a good time with it...

·
Registered
6,825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster /forum/post/20774868

I had heard of this film several months ago in our Movie forum....

This film is not your typical scary vampire film, though it does have enough moments of horror to keep you on edge and give you some jolts. The film for me was more about the struggle to live in a new world...think TMC's "The Walking Dead" and the film, "The Road" for inspiration.

Thanks for the heads up rboster.... I'll give it a look too!

·
Registered
4,854 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes /forum/post/20864334

Well if it has " Excellent PQ and AQ too. Good characters and nicely written" than it is leaps and bounds over most movies in this genre. I always read critics drone on about "another" apocolyptic movie or "another" zombie movie. Like why do another when it has been done before? Irks me because there are not that many modern, reference apocolytic movies that have been done well. Either the movie does not have the budget for good production values - numerous direct to video fare. Or it does not take itself serious - Zombieland. Or has major holes in the writing and execution Priest, Legion, Daybreakers, Resident Evil 2-4, Terminator Salvation... I have not seen Stake Land yet but if it does all these things well, it deserves some merit in it's own right because you cannot say that about many movies in this genre. Now, does not mean I didn't enjoy these other movies...

·
Registered
946 Posts
I finally had a chance to watch this last night and fully agree with the OP - this is a terrific low budget film. If Terrence Malick had made a vampire flick in his early days, this would be it, seriously. Despite one misstep near the end this is about as good as it gets for a low budget horror movie.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
If by misstep, do you mean...
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) The super-vampire?

That kind of annoyed me, as it seemed to throw the semi-realistic tone out the window and go for super villian antics.

Still a great film, IMO.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I watched this several months back and didn't expect much but was pleasantly surprised. Thought pq was excellent as well.

Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.