AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
An HTPC will be a better bet usually. The main reason is that an HTPC does all of its processing in the digital domain, including the deinterlacing and upconverting. A progressive DVD player will do the deinterlacing digitally, but it then converts it to analog to send to your display device. If you try to use it with a scaler, you generally can't even use the progressive part of it (scaler does it for you). Then the signal is being processed in the analog domain.

SDI is a way of using a standalone DVD player to be scaled in the digital domain, as long as you have a SDI equipped scaler. This rivals HTPC and in my opinion is even better.

Thanks!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jason Turk
An HTPC will be a better bet usually. The main reason is that an HTPC does all of its processing in the digital domain, including the deinterlacing and upconverting. A progressive DVD player will do the deinterlacing digitally, but it then converts it to analog to send to your display device. If you try to use it with a scaler, you generally can't even use the progressive part of it (scaler does it for you). Then the signal is being processed in the analog domain.
So, in the case i need just a deinterlaced image, there shouldn't be any reason to build up an htpc? I'm i wrong?

Does htpc have a video mode, for no filmic materials?

Thank you!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Quote:
The main reason is that an HTPC does all of its processing in the digital domain, including the deinterlacing and upconverting.
Does this mean if I build an HTPC with a DVD player, buying an SDI input card and modding my standalone for SDI would be pointless? Since the video from the DVD on the PC is all digital anyways?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.