AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I am looking into buying a stand-alone dvd recorder and I was wondering how I could hook that up to my PC to record things off of my PC. I do not want to buy a computer dvd burner. Is there a way to use a stand-alone one?

Thanks.

·
Registered
795 Posts
What kinds of "things" do you want to record from your PC?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm guessing he wants to use a standalone DVD recorder as a substitute for buying a DVD burner for his PC. Not sure why he wants to do that since a DVD burner is less than $50 these days.

·
Banned
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya thats exactly what I want to do. Is there a way to do that? I would be recording clips fo cars and various clips of things fom the internet.

·
Registered
795 Posts
To get the video out of the computer and into the set top box you'll need a video card that has a video out, either composite video or s-video. They're cheap but a pc burner might be cheaper unless your pc currently has video and audio out jacks.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Using an outside stand-alone as a burner means outputting everything as analog and then having the burner re-digitize it. It probably can be done, but why? The video quality would be seriously compromised, and the speed would probably be real SLOW.

Really good burners for your computer (e.g. Pioneer) are only about $75 for the internal mount. They can burn a full 4.4 gb disk is a little over six minutes (8x).

Much less money for much better results and MUCH less hassle.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Hmmm....I know Panasonic won't let you do it but I thought there were some stand alone DVD recorders that have a DV-IN port that would accept exported firewire video from a PC. Maybe I am wrong about that?

Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.