AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If my new thread here is a redundant post just forgive me for not being bright enough to realize it!

I understand standard def dvd player up conversion feature via HDMI output because I love what it does and it is built in to my player.

Here is what I cannot fully understand from other threads here.

Is there a stand alone device that will perform a similar up conversion of my standard def DirecTV out put or standard def cable box output that will result in picture quality increase similar to dvd up conversion feature?

Yes, my RP HD 56in tv has up conversion capability and it does a good job with standard def DVDs BUT same dvd player connected via Up Conversion output (HDMI) results in a significantly better image than the tv's built in processor capability.

So the bottom line of my interest is can I input a composite or S-Video DirecTV or Cable box output into a stand alone Up Conversion unit and achieve an image improvement similar to the UP Conversion feature of my DVD player?

Thanks in Advance for simple answer to a simple question from a simple forum member.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Yes the advanced video processors that are discussed in this forum do excellent upconversion of standard definition sources. In particular, check out the Lumagen and DVDO products. Most of these will probably do better than the up conversion feature of your DVD player.

There are receivers that do a good job at this too. One that I think would do great for general upscaling would be the Onkyo 875 as it has a reon processor that is very good.

The upscalers in receivers typically only do that. The video processors mentioned above do much much more for configurability, color control, noise reduction, image enhancement etc.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Yeah it looks like the Vantage HD2 has some good potential too. I haven't seen one in person though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts