AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering building a new HTPC and am wondering if there is a difference in load times when it comes to comparing a standalone Blu-Ray player to a BD in a decent HTPC.

Let's say I built an HTPC with an i3 proc and 4 gigs of memory, nothing fancy. Would BD load times improve over an average Samsung player? And would an i7 load faster than an i3?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by proliance
I'm considering building a new HTPC and am wondering if there is a difference in load times when it comes to comparing a standalone Blu-Ray player to a BD in a decent HTPC.

Let's say I built an HTPC with an i3 proc and 4 gigs of memory, nothing fancy. Would BD load times improve over an average Samsung player? And would an i7 load faster than an i3?
I haven't owned a standalone BD player but I know HTPC load times were considered much faster last time I checked comparisons (about 1 year ago).

I'm don't think having an i7 would improve load times noticably.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by proliance

I doubt it, haven't noticed much difference.

But then a Core i7 as a HTPC would be way over-kill.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Depends on your software. I use anydvd + tmt3 platinum + mymovies and i my load time is almost instantaneous right to the movie menu. granted my movies are stored locally on a server instead of the disc. but even a disc in my htpc loads faster to me anyway vs my panny bd85.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
If you're playing directly from the Blu-Ray disc I would guess the load times to be similar, although I'd lean towards the HTPC to load it faster. The nice thing about playing Blu-Rays from a PC is that you can rip the movie to your hard drive and cut out all of the extra crap. Load times are way faster and you don't have to suffer through 15 minutes of endless promotions and trailers before you can watch the main movie.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.