Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope I don't start a war here:)

With all the discussion lately about the various SW DVD players popping up, I am curious about people's thoughts in terms of sheer PQ when comparing SW Players to Standalone Players.

Forget scaling,color,etc. I mean just the best PQ in the area of sharpness and detail.

I have read posts that say the PQ is much better with the SW DVD players but reading between the lines, I see these are on display devices capable of High Scan rates.

I have your standard RP HDTV and hence it is limited to scan rates of 34Khz H, 60 Hz V.

My Graphics card is the Radeon 64 MB AGP version using the latest driver for Windows 2000 and I have Powerstrip setup for 540P and 1440x480p (thanks to Karnis).

I have done careful A/B comparisons using 2 copies of the same disk synced exactly at the same place in the film between my Progressive Scan Panasonic RP91 and all the major SW DVD players.

I have yet to see one which beats the RP91 in sharpness and detail. All the SW players have a duller, more slightly blurry picture.

The best SW player I have found so far would be rated by me an 8 out of 10 with the RP91 being a 10 (my baseline).

I am not saying nor implying that the RP91 is the best player out there. It is just that I own one and it is the only thing I have to compare these SW players against.

I suppose on the high scan rate display devices, sw DVD players would be better but who in this forum has compared a good Progressive scan player against the sw players on a standard RP HDTV using various Powerstrip T&R's?

All I see are discussions of WinDVD vs ATI vs PowerDVD,etc.

Thanks for any thoughts or comments - except any mean ones:)

Joe

·
Registered
996 Posts
I just finished a HTPC last week. I have also done a comparison of a progressive scan JVC 723GD versus PIII, Radeon, ATI DVD SW player.

IMHO, the 723GD has a better picture. I am displaying on a Sony 10HT. I also built the HTPC for gaming so not a total waste. Maybe just the Radeon.

I don't know if it is just a matter of tweaking or what.

-Jym-

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Watson
Joe,

Go buy a RP56 or RP91 and be done with it.

Software DVD decoding is turning into an “expensive speaker wire war†in this forum.
For DVD viewing, I agree. But if you want to watch cable and/or OTA NTSC and surf the internet and play games.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.