AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seeking advice about a method of SDI that would be an alternative to HTPC. Granted it would not be as effective as DVD/SDI out to Silk SDI in and HTPC DVI out to DVI in on my Hitachi 5500 projector.

I don't have HTPC yet and will probably get one. I also do not have an SDI converter, but I was wondering if the following combination would work:

Panasonic RP56 with SDI out to SDI input of

Aja Video Model D10CE - Universal SDI to Analog Converter.

Component out of AJA D10CE to

Hitachi component input.

BNC to RCA adapters would be needed.

I am guessing that the Hitachi would have to do the scaling and line doubling. I don't know if the Hitachi line doubling is good or average compared to other projectors. The scaling would be limited to real or full SXGA by the Hitachi.

The Aja sells for about $720 at Markertek.com. They sell quite a few stand-alone SDI converters. It has the following specs:

Aja Video Model D10CE - Universal SDI to Analog Converter

The D10CE SDI to Analog Video Converter provides excellent quality 10-bit

conversion of SDI to both component and composite video formats

simultaneously. The component outputs are user configurable to YPbPr, (SMPTE, EBU-N10), Betacam, or RGB (or composite YC). The composite output is user configurable to composite video or sync. The component and composite outputs are completely independent including optimum chroma filtering for each and independent pedestal configuration. The D10CE also features an exclusive PLL jitter filter/memory to reduce the effects of SDI jitter on the output analog video. This feature, along with the precision 4x oversampled D/A filters, provides the highest quality analog outputs - including very low phase noise in composite outputs. The D10CE also provides two re-clocked, loop-thru SDI outputs. All functions are user configurable via dipswitches.

Features:

- Excellent Quality 10-bit Universal D/A Conversion

- Full 10-bit Data Path, 4x Oversampling

- SDI Input, 2 Re-Clocked, Loop-Thru SDI Outputs

- Simultaneous Component and Composite Analog

Outputs

- YPbPr, Betacam, or RGB Component Formats

- NTSC or PAL Composite Formats

- Precision PLL Jitter Filter For Stable Composite Outputs

- Digital Noise Reduction

- Low Cost

Specifications:

Inputs: - SDI (SMPTE 259M)

Outputs:

- Simultaneous Component and Composite Output

- YPbPr - SMPTE, EBU-N10, Betacam, RGB, NTSC, PAL,

YC (S-Video), 3x BNC

- NTSC/PAL or Sync, 1x BNC

- Re-Clocked, Loop-Thru SDI, 2x BNC

D/A Converters:

- 10-bit, 4x Oversampling

- Clock Jitter Filtering to 2.5Hz

Frequency Resp:

- Y +/- .15dB to 5.5Mhz

- C +/- .15dB to 2.5Mhz (Component)

- C +/- .15dB to 1.3Mhz (Composite)

- Less Than .5% K Factor (2T)

User Controls:

- External Dipswitch

- Output Video Format

- Pedestal On/Off

- Narrow/Wide Blanking

- Digital Noise Reduction

Power:

- +5V DC Regulated, 4 Watts

Size:

- 5.8" x 3.1" x 1" (147 x 70 x 25mm)

Could this work? Would it be worth it as a simplified and very limited alternative to HTPC?

Moderator, please feel free to move this to the video Processors forum.

Noel

·
Premium Member
8,103 Posts
Lets see, you're trading the internal MPEG bus to analog converter on a DVD player with one that converts to SDI (no losses there), convert back to analog, and then the line doubling is done by your projector?

What do you hope to gain by this?!

You're basically trading the deinterlacing engine on the RP56 with the scaler in your projector. You will gain nothing by this combination.

Use the RP56 in peace (no need for SDI mod) or get another progressive player, at least you'll be taking the projector's deinterlacer out of the equation. The RP91 and Q50 are pretty good players.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.