AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not clear on something. Those of you with a HD set top box, does the box show what resolution it is receiving such as, 420i vs 1080i? and did you know that some broadcasting companies stretch their standard Definition pictures to make the tuner "think" it is showing High-Definition, but actually you are not watching HD but a stretched standard picture? Can they (broadcasters) get away with that?:confused:

·
Registered
548 Posts
lol i think most of us (i sure hope so) can tell the difference between HD and "stretched" SD. But the broadcasters can air whatever picture they want, whether 16:9 or 4:3 , regardless of resolution or stretching.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But don't you get a worse picture with stretched standard def?

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
My Samsung OTA HD STB only shows HD or SD, not the specific format of the signal received. Also all the HD-capable channels always use their HD format (720p or 1080i) even when upconverting analog 4:3 material - some will stretch/zoom/crop to almost fill the 16:9 frame and this results in blowing up the size of the pixels.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Doesn't that make for an unclear picture?

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DonBerg
My Samsung OTA HD STB only shows HD or SD, not the specific format of the signal received. Also all the HD-capable channels always use their HD format (720p or 1080i) even when upconverting analog 4:3 material - some will stretch/zoom/crop to almost fill the 16:9 frame and this results in blowing up the size of the pixels.

DonBerg:

The Samsung over the air boxes (T151 and T150) will output whatever you set the switch in the back to. So although ABC broadcasts in 720p, the box will convert it to 1080i. Same with FOX and its 480p -- box converts to 1080i (assuming you have the switch set to 1080i).

Eric

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.