AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm contemplating taking the plunge and going to a HDTV DirecTv dish in the near future.

I currently have a standard Hughes-labeled DirecTv dish and am planning on doing a self install of the new dish. I'd rather not unbolt the old mount (as it's tough to get to), I was hoping that all I would need to do is to swap the dish itself (along with the misery of aiming) on the current mount

My question: Is the mounting pole diameter the same for Standard and HDTV dishes (as well as across different manufacturers)?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Or, yes, in my case at least.

I had a standard round dish, and DirecTV sent me the 18"x20" triple LNB dish with a free install. As there was a foot of snow on the roof, I'm SURE the installer didn't change the plate that's bolted into the roof. I can check to see what leftover hardware I have, but I'm sure he didn't have to change the bracket.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I think it depends on the manufacturer of the dish and maybe how old it is. My original Sony round dish that came with my 1st Directv system in 1996 used a mast with a smaller diameter. When I upgraded to HD, I thought I could reuse the mast and simply attach the new oval 18x20 dish. It didn't work and I had to use the mast that came with the new dish. It would have been more work to modify the mounting bracket on the oval dish to clamp on to the smaller diameter mast.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The post is not the same. It is critical that the post for the 3 LNB dish is plumb, which is why it has a bubble level on the end. However, the "foot" to the post is the same between models.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Maybe the post on the newest elliptical dish has a bubble level, but mine doesn't (a Terk 18"x24" elliptical dish).

The mount (as in the post you mount and then adjust to be striaght up and down over which the dish assembly fits) is the same on almost all DirecTV satellite dishes, except the original Sony 18" dish used a narrower post.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I replaced my single LNB dish with a triple LNB, and the mounting post was much larger diameter for the 3 LNB dish. I thought I might be able to tighten it down enough to get a fit, but I couldn't.. had to buy a new pole.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just did what you are trying to do last weekend. I went from about a 1 year old generic round dish to a Terk 18x20 (not the newest one but a 3lnb just the same) the poles are the same diameter

Good luck

-Smiley

·
23,045 Posts
My old Sony mount is 1.5" OD and my new Wistron mount is 1.625" OD.

Problem is that I sank my own pole into the ground to mount

the Sony. I'm going to have to find a sleeve... :( *******s.

larry

Edit: LOL autocensoring post. All I said was "offspring conceived out of wedlock" :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.