AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking through various LCD manufacturers' websites, and I noticed that some give a "maximum" CR, while others give a "typical" CR, and others don't say which they're giving. I can understand that "maximum" is probably the difference between the brightest and darkest that the screen can produce (while it's on), but how is "typical" determined?

And, as a consumer trying to compare the things, is there any way to translate? Like figuring that maximum is usually typical plus about 50%?

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Yes, the problem is that there are really no standards, about the best a consumer can do is to look for independent measurements, from someone who uses the same standard when testing.

Pete Putman's reports, I believe, fall into that category:

http://www.projectorexpert.com/

IIRC, the maximum ratings that we see are usually with contrast set to a maximum using a white screen and set in a totally darkened room.

Ghibliss - (Cliff) an ISF calibrator has commented in the past, relative to the Panasonic Plasmas 3000:1 ratings, really being about 1200:1 out of the box, and then after ISF calibration, settling in around 650:1 (previous generation Pannies).

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
On/off contrast --> the method that involves using an all white or an all black does not apparently require the darkened room trick to work. There was a long discussion of this in the projector forum.

ANSI contrast, aka checkerboard contrast --> does require a dark room.

Peter P.'s reports do confirm that a calibrated Panasonic is in the 750:1 range -- which is quite good for a calibrated display.

Some manufacturers do idiotic things like set the white test using a different display mode than the black test. This offers up a pointless measure of the theoretical contrast ratio of the panel, but in a form that it could never actually be used -- unless you are using the brightness and contrast controls on a scene-by-scene basis!

Mark

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
OT

Mark (rogo)

I just read your "CEDIA 2003 roundup" and I want to thank you for taking the time to provide us with an excellent review.

Harley

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Anytime.... Thanks. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.