AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently returned to Costco an Akai 4294 due to the horrible picture quality of Standard Definition viewing (even DVDs looked bad). I had purchased it due to the price and clarity of HD broadcast displayed in the warehouse (my mistake). Since then, I have made the rounds to CC, GG, and Tweeter to check out the various plasmas from Panasonic, Pioneer, Sony, Phillips, and Samsung (same as the Akai - and has looked bad in every store with SD). So far, I have come to like the following consumer models (no plan for a home theater setup, or HD, and I like the convenience of all in one):

Panasonic TH-42PA20UP

Pioneer PDP-4330HD

Watching SD on both Plasmas has been a difficult choice. I like the detail (especially in dark scenes) of the Pioneer, and the sharpness of the Panasonic (SD Sports Broadcasts). Neither display had been setup very well and still looked great with an SD signal.

What I would are suggestions for where to get the best price (and most flexible return policy) for either of the above displays?

Thanks in advance,

S

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Hi Sysygy,

Tough call - no wonder you didn't get replies so far:

- the 42" Panasonic versus the 43" Pioneer is one of the most debated topics in this forum. If you run a search with both 42" and 43" as keywords this is bound to give you more information than you want.

- to resume their respective strongpoints, the 42" Panasonic will have a better black level for viewing in a dark room (ie better 3D effect with the lights turned off) and the 43" Pioneer will have a perceptibly bigger picture (partly due to the speakers on each side) and a more eye-popping light output in a brightly lit room, and maybe slightly better shadow detail.

- another reason for no answers here: our hosts, AV Science, sells equipment and also has paying sponsors who fund the servers for this forum. So they don't like us talking about where the best deals are. If you investigate further, you'll find that AVS forum sponsors cater to us, meaning folks who just like you are looking for "bang for the buck" and thus offer us special pricing which is extremely competitive. Otherwise, as threads or posts directly asking for the best price are NOT ALLOWED in this forum, personal messages to those in the know (who say in their posts that they got rock bottom pricing) is the way to go. E-mail to them is better yet.

Best of luck in your purchase,

·
Registered
46 Posts
I also went through the Akai 4294, and returned it to Costco.

Now I have Panny 6UY hanging on my living room wall.

SD is much better then Akai, almost watchable. ( no pixalations in dark areas )

DVD looks excellent with no service adjustments.

Purchased from Dell, for a piece of mind, so I can return it within 30 days.

I am happy with it and it looks like a keeper.

Dimitry

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Check out the Fujitsu 42" plasmas. They are good at showing SD and are very popular here on this forum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.