AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a substantial difference in standard definition picture quality between an entry level and a higher end plasma tv (say a Samsung b550 vs b650 or b850)? Are there any cabling connections through a Comcast cable box or receiver that will improve the standard definition picture quality? A jaggied Barney Fife on a 50 inch screen is just downright scary. . .

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'll just give you what I've learned. I have expanded basic cable only. I have 2 older Sharp LCD HD tv's and standard def. is pretty crappy, but tolerable. I recently bought a new 58" Panasonic 850U tv and the difference is night and day. The Panny displays those same standard def channels 10X's better then the Sharp, and the sharp tv's I have are much smaller, 26" and 37". Not sure why but apparently Panny, at least in this particular model, does a great job in somehow "upconverting" standard def signals. I'm sure the experts will be along shortly and tell me that is not true, all I know is the picture quality on the Panny is so good I am not going to upgrade to HD programming with my local cable company. They do provide 4 locals in HD via the QAM tuner and those look awesome.

·
Registered
439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansgi /forum/post/16908092

I'll just give you what I've learned. I have expanded basic cable only. I have 2 older Sharp LCD HD tv's and standard def. is pretty crappy, but tolerable. I recently bought a new 58" Panasonic 850U tv and the difference is night and day. The Panny displays those same standard def channels 10X's better then the Sharp, and the sharp tv's I have are much smaller, 26" and 37". Not sure why but apparently Panny, at least in this particular model, does a great job in somehow "upconverting" standard def signals. I'm sure the experts will be along shortly and tell me that is not true, all I know is the picture quality on the Panny is so good I am not going to upgrade to HD programming with my local cable company. They do provide 4 locals in HD via the QAM tuner and those look awesome.

I would wholeheartedly agree with you!

I've got a 50" Panasonic PZ85U and I think that it does a better job with SD DirecTV, than my 50" Pioneer Elite. Go figure!?

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
You cant improve the PQ of SD but you can improve SD based on the flat screen used. the bigger you go the worse SD is going to look, However lets say for example you got a 42" panasonic and a 50" pioneer, even though the pioneer is bigger in size it will look better then the panasonic because its processing de/interlancing.

so processing/chips among other things can make the PQ of SD look different including different tvs/brands and technology.

Most importantly

how far or close of a distance will you be watching tv?

are you going to be watching most of your time SD?

what is your budget or max amount you can spend?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My viewing distance is around 7-8 feet.

I mostly watch HD or Blu-Ray and DVD movies but I do like my Forensics Files and Married With Children reruns.

My budget would allow me to spend $1000 - $1500 (maybe $2000 if the tv would give me back rubs and do the dishes). . .

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Sounds like a panasonic plasma to me unless you are lucky enough to get a pioneer. find out what highest end model you can get as i havnt looked into prices since i have a pioneer no need to look at the market. contact forum member sponsers such as roman o or robert @ ve.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Some HDTV makers have placed upconverting chipset in the models before, that was the claim to fame with Sony XBR2, XBR3, and XBR4. I am not sure if Sony is still doing that with the XBR line.

Samsung has appearently put some kind of upconverting chipset in in thier 850 plasma series. I am not sure if any other models have the same.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The Sonys still have a SD filter in the bravia engine to clean the SD picture up more. They also have a higher resolution and do offer the de-interlacing so that you get a great picture during SD viewing. The panasonic one that everyone else mentioned is great too but I would think about maybe a XBR9?

·
Registered
210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-tube /forum/post/16909805

Some HDTV makers have placed upconverting chipset in the models before, that was the claim to fame with Sony XBR2, XBR3, and XBR4. I am not sure if Sony is still doing that with the XBR line.

Samsung has appearently put some kind of upconverting chipset in in thier 850 plasma series. I am not sure if any other models have the same.

Mine is a Panny 850 model not a Samsung.

·
Registered
885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerreed /forum/post/16908327

My viewing distance is around 7-8 feet.

I mostly watch HD or Blu-Ray and DVD movies but I do like my Forensics Files and Married With Children reruns.

My budget would allow me to spend $1000 - $1500 (maybe $2000 if the tv would give me back rubs and do the dishes). . .

If you already have an audio setup, consider the Pioneer 500M monitor. It has the best current picture quality in the world, and you can also get ISFccc modes installed by a fairly cheap software patch that would make it equivalent to the Pioneer Elite 101 monitor in everything but the nameplate on the front.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I shared this issue since a majority of our viewing is still in SD. So I actually drove all over until I got various places to let me do extensive testing of each major brand and set I was considering playing SD sources -- satellite or cable if I could get it (preferably DirecTV to mirror myself) and DVD or VHS when IO couldn't.

Many sets fail miserably at this test, which is why the retailers try so hard to avoid showing it. I will say that the latest Samsungs, Pioneer and Panasonics all did very well. I know Pioneer is lauded in every way, but to my eyes (and those with me), it didn’t do quite as well as the Samsung in the SD test. I doubt ANY of these sets were well calibrated if at all, but who is going to calibrate their set for SD anyway, so I don’t consider that a deal-breaker on the testing. The Samsung has also been well reviewed for SD viewing. The Panasonic has failed the SD viewing / de-interlacing tests from several major reviewers, though in real-world conditions it looked ok to me (not as good as the other two).

Overall we enjoy SD viewing on our new 63” Samsung more than on our 2005 Panasonic 720p 50”, which is surprising not only because its bigger (and therefore should show the interlacing flaws more) but because 720p should handle SD better than 1080p which is further from the native res… The bottom line is it became a non-issue, at least with sat-quality 480p programming. I haven’t tried our old VCR against it but I suspect it will look bad…

·
Registered
6,053 Posts
I have a 50" Panasonic G15 and SD looks good. It doesn't look as good as HD, but looks good. If I pick what to watch, I almost always watch something in HD, but my kids watch SpongeBob and ICarly on the NICK cable analog channel and it looks good. If I look really close, like maybe 2 feet from the TV, the picture looks bad, but from a distance the problems aren't as noticeable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts