AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a house and have plans to put a plasma tv above the fireplace. I'm paying the low-voltage contractor do put in a "plasma fireplace package" which basically is 4 RG6, 1 CL3 Speaker Wire, 1 CAT5E, and one DVI/S-Video supplied by me from above the fireplace to the corner area of the room where the receiver/set top box sits.

Will the standard coax be fine for the component video connections? They are terimnated with RCA.

I am also going in later to do some extra prewiring.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
If it were me, I'd specify an all-copper RG-59 for any interconnect other than RF.

Don't forget the power receptacle for the plasma. And maybe two CAT-5's.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
The only functional difference between the two is loss over distance for RF use, and we're talking in the tens or hundreds of feet for the difference to become significant. All-copper RG-59 is thinner and more flexible, easier to find RCAs for, and possible to solder them.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
There was a thread here several months ago where it was revealed, correctly so I believe, that the triple shielded RG6 actually provided better noise rejection than the quad shielded. There is a writeup about this on Belden's website. I think their brand name for the good triple shielded cable is duobond. I'd look for that. It's cheap and easy to get. I think you can find the exact numbers on blue jean cables website, they use it too.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I snuck into another house under construction to see the type of RG6 they used. It looked like copper rated at 350 Mhz and said "HDTV" labed right on the white cable. This this is good enough for component cables?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I don't think so.

Why not get some of the >1 GHz Belden cable. It's cheap and very good. You can never have too much bandwidth!

And be sure that RCA's is what you need for the TV. Some plasmas come with BNCs.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll look into that. What about Python cables? I think I remember they are very cheap and I think that's what my old cable company provided which worked great.

The Python Component Video RCA Cables are the premium choice for connecting your high-definition DVD player and high-end TVs and monitors. With its three RG59 95% copper-braid shielded coax cable, you can expect optimum picture resolution and color. The cable provides for EMI/RFI protection with its double high-density shielding. 24K gold-plated heavy-duty connectors ensure long lasting, corrosion-free connections to your equipment. The color-coded molded connectors attach to an ultra-flexible jacket allowing for easy installation and identification.

By using Component Video Cables, you bypass the TV’s Y/C separator and Color Decoder, routing the color (Y, Cr, Cb ) information directly into the TVs matrix decoder. By sending the pure DVD component video signal directly to a component video input-equipped display device, the DVD signal forgoes the extra processing that normally would degrade the image. The result is vastly increased image quality, with incredibly lifelike colors and crisp detail.

Features

Connectors: 3 RCA male to 3 RCA male

Provides video signal transfer between DVD players and high-end TVs or monitors

Constructed of 95% copper-braid shielded 75ohm RG59 coax video cable

Precision 75-ohm impedance for maximum signal transfer - extended 1GHz bandwidth

100% 0.12mm aluminum-polyester foil shield

Ultra-flexible jacket for easy installation

24K Gold-plated connectors ensure long lasting, corrosion-free connections

Color-coded (red, green, blue) - Fully molded construction

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...sku=C184-27082

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I would need something flexible. How much does this stuff run? I'm really not a fan of super expensive cables. I had some acoustic research cables and the comcast-supplied cables which worked perfect before and were dirt cheap.

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DominoGold
I think I would need something flexible. How much does this stuff run? I'm really not a fan of super expensive cables. I had some acoustic research cables and the comcast-supplied cables which worked perfect before and were dirt cheap.
One thing, how long do you need the cables to be? As most pre-made cables are only sold in a limited amount of lengths to choose from. And if you are going to need them to be over 12' long, then you will have even more trouble trying to find quality "off the shelf pre-made" component cables at budget prices.

If you liked the AR cables from a prior use you had, and you can find them in the length that you need. (12' or under) Then theres certainly nothing wrong with using them again.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My basement was prewired for component with RG-6 Quad Shield (RG6QS) at lengths around 25 ft by the previous owner. For now, I think I am going to use them. However he never got to putting connectors on. Can anyone lead me to a good place to get quality connectors at a decent price.?

Thanks

Jeff

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jeff, let me know how your standard RG6 turns out as component cables. I'm doing the same thing for one feed but won't be able to test it until the house is done in a few months.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi folks,

Just weighing in with some information on the subject.

I am an industry professional and give tech advice to installers, end-users, dealers, and specifying engineers everyday regarding cable and wire applications in the Home Theater, Integration and broadcast market. A standard CCTV RG59 can transmit these signals perfectly over significant distances. I have used coaxial cables as small as 26 AWG micro cables for transmitting these signals clearly out to 150 feet. The only issue that may arise in long distances is the timing of the cables. A TDR would be required to measure and cut the cables to synchronize the timing. I have seen this start to happen at distances around 250 feet.

Composite, Component, S-Video are all baseband style video signals, a copper/copper coaxial cable is the preferred construction for these signals. The braid can be tinned copper also as in Belden¡¯s 1694A. Copper clad steel center conductors, aluminum foil, and aluminum braid shields are not recommended for this type of application. I have had multiple occasions where people have used RG6 quad shield for rack interconnects and had issues with picture problems, replacing the cables corrected the problems immediately.

A copper center conductor, aluminum foil shield, and copper braid is acceptable also.

Regarding the connector question, there are many non-solder style RCA plugs on the market. These are compression crimp versions. The tooling is somewhat expensive so if you are only terminating a couple of cables, solder style is cheaper.

If I sound like a know-it-all you have my permission to slap me

:D

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the tip Marine.

My installer said the same thing, but only that he uses standard RG6 (looks like it's decent quality, says HDTV right on the cable). The runs are only 25 feet. Should this work for component cables ok?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Jeff

I'm a newbie to this too, and this is my first post I've spent literally hours reviewing this forum and couldn't find info on this issue either.

You might try national-tech.com. I just ordered two sets of color coded RCA jacks to use for the RG6 component runs to my new H30, and also a VGA to 3X female RCA adaptor. I'll let you know more when they arrive.

BoothT

·
Registered
58 Posts
I went down to Radio Shack the other day asking about connectors for RG6. The salesperson was really trying to steer me in the direction of purchasing a cable; he mentioned it is difficult to get a good connection and was unsure of using RG6. Basically confused me. Marine 2800 any thoughts, my run is going to be 20-25 ft, would I be better off purchasing a component cable?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I recommend using a cable constructed for the baseband signals. Steer away from aluminum braid shield as in RG6-Quad and dual shield CATV cable. One gentleman I walked through an image problem had 15 foot RG6-Quad runs with RCA¡¯s on a rack. The quad shield was a bare copper center conductor and aluminum braid shields. We replaced the cable with some quickly constructed RG59 serial digital cable (Liberty Interflex-sd - a non-UL version of Belden 1505A) and radial compression RCA¡¯s and he was in business with a perfect display. I ran tests on his old cables and found they were perfectly fine as far as RF performance. Your standard component video interconnects are usually copper/copper and work fine for the low frequencies involved. For the distance you are running a component video interconnect cable is fine. If you have a source for the RCA plugs and 75 feet of RG59 CCTV cable then you can construct them yourself.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.