AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, this is my first post here. I found this forum while looking for an answer to this question concerning HDMI cables.

I just purchased an Epson PowerLite Pro 6010 and will be mounting it on my ceiling. I alos purchased a 20 meter (62') HDMI cord. The one the sales person selected for me is the Binary B5-HD-20 standard HDMI cable with ethernet

Now this is a brand new projector and I am setting up a brand new system. It includes a 3D Blue Ray player as well as a PS3 which will be playing 3D games.

Is this cable sufficient? At this point I am thinking of taking it back tomorrow and having them order me something faster that will handle all the up and coming technology just around the corner. I don't want to have to climb all in the small parts of my attic in a year if I can circumvent any possible issue now.

Can anyone either offer me or point me to some good advice? Any other cable I should consider or is there a reliable affordable HDMI transmitter?

I tried to post the URL but I don't have the privilege yet. Just copy and paste the the cable in google and search if you're not familiar.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
A standard HDMI cable is adequate for 1080i and 720p. One usually uses a high speed cable for signals with a higher bit rate, like 1080p60 or 1080p24 3D. The longest certified standard HDMI cable I know of is about 45'. The longest certified high speed HDMI cable I know of is about 25'. All other things being equal, the longer the cable, the lower the bit rate it will support.

So where does this all leave you? In practice, it is often possible to exceed the certified performance levels of a cable. 50' at 1080p60 or 1080p24 3D is fairly common. 100' is not unheard of. It really depends on the cable, all the electronics, and the environment. My advice is to connect everything before you bury the cable in the walls and ceiling and see if it works. Make sure you have DeepColor set off if your gear supports it.

If the cable doesn't work, I think you will be looking at one of the "extender" prodcuts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your advice. I guess I am not wanting to slack on deep color in any way as this is a projection TV. To be honest, I only need 30 feet, not the 20 meters that I have.

Do you recommend any specific name brand? How do you feel about the brand "Binary"?

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
No such thing as a 1.4 cable, just standard or high speed, with or without ethernet. BD 3D is nowhere near pushing the limits of HDMI. BD 1080p24 3D requires less bandwidth than 1080p60 2D. The latter requires less than half the bandwidth of a high speed cable. 1080p60 3D gaming, however, is a different issue. That requires close to the full bandwidth of a high speed cable. But OP didn't mention that.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by treyharvard /forum/post/21437475

To be honest, I only need 30 feet, not the 20 meters that I have.

IIWY I would get a shorter cable. You should have no problem with a decent 22AWG-24AWG 30' cable.
Quote:
Do you recommend any specific name brand? How do you feel about the brand "Binary"?

Never heard of it before, which is neither here nor there. My recommendation is to buy from a reputable source. Around here that means AV Science, Blue Jeans Cable, monoprice, Mediabridge, etc. FWIW the Blue Jeans Cable Series 1 is arguably one of the best cables available at any price, and it isn't all that expensive compared to boutique cables.

·
Banned
3,692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioHD /forum/post/21437701

You need an HDMI 1.4 cable if it's 20 cm means week HD signal.

To play 3D games or other 3D such as blue ray 3D.

Let's all remember that version numbers do not apply to cables. For the home market, there are only two types of cables - high speed and standard speed with options such as ethernet over HDMI for both types. The pinouts are exactly the same bertween the two types of cables.

More from the owner of the HDMI specs and trademarks/patents here:

http://www.hdmi.org/consumer/buying_guide.aspx

20cm = 7.87 inches, which any cable should handle. 20m = 65 feet and is well beyond high speed but some standard speed cables may work.

Remember 3D 1080i Side by Side uses less bandwidth than 3D 1080p frame packed. So not all 3D is the same in terms of how much demands it places on the HDMI cable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts