AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I have a MyHD card (excellent card I might add!!!!) I am thinking about leaving my HTPC on 24/7.

Anyone out there get Standby or Hibernate to work good with Windows XP?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Do you use your HTPC for DVR functions? I have been experiementing with standby and hibernate modes on my machine, and haven't figured out a way to get the machine to wake up for timed recording.

I am using ABit's NV7-133R motherboard.

Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks,

Kevin

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ok, then, maybe a stupid question. Why use MMC then?

Is it only nice with the ZoomPlayer maybe? Are there any filters with the MMC that ZoomPlayer can use?

(Don't see any ATI filers on the Zoom Player filters list either ... so) ..

Have installed MMC, but can't figure out what use it has.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by avekevin
I have an ATI AIW Radeon 7500. Do you know if the MMC software supports this?

Thanks,

Kevin
Absolutely not! This is one of my pet peeves with the ATI software. If you look at the spec sheet for the cards, all the features you want are there, but when you go to use them you discover that though the features are there and work, they have been implemented in a way that renders them useless.

Sure it can record tv shows, but the computer MUST be already running, and if you are trying to do something on the computer at the time, up pop the TV display ON TOP of whatever you are doing & the TV sound starts blasting away. So much for doing anything when it decides it is time to record.

The TV recording should be done in the back ground AS A SERVICE not as an application. It should be silent with no picture display. The application should display live TV and play recordings, NOTHING ELSE. Since it is an aplication if a screen blanker has taken over the screen, the timed recording will fail because the application is unable to open its overlay.

It is as if the programmer of this application has NEVER EVEN USED A VCR. It is obvious that the programmers don't use their own software or these issuses would have been fixed in version 1.000001

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I don't have a good answer for you. I bought the hipix to view & record HDTV, and the AIW Radion to record NTSC. Untill two weeks ago I could not use either one to record anything since nither worked with hibernation. This has changed for the Hipix card with some beta software that just came out. Personally I don't care too much what happens with the AIW since all the shows I wan't to timeshift are available on the digital channels, and the AIW slightly posterizes the image. The only time I would need it would be if two shows were on simultaniously and one was standard definition. I would appriciate it if ATI would fix their DVD player though. I have to fiddle with it every time to get any audio through the spdif connector, and I have never succeeded in getting any DTS through to my reciever.

My best recommendation is to buy another brand TV-tuner card. I don't know which ones work with hibernation (other than hipix, and it won't record NTSC).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.