AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked this in the Onkyo HT-S790 thread but it got missed...

is it ok to leave the Recvr on? or should it be turned off(Standby)?

the main reason I dont want to turn it off is that I am lazy and by turning it off

it doesnt save the speaker settings so I have to enter them every time I turn the unit back on...not a big deal but a bit of a hassle....

so other then power consumption(by the way anyone know how much more it takes to keep it on vs standby) are there any reasons to not leave it on?

·
Registered
265 Posts
I've left my Denon PL receiver constantly powered for 13 years without any problem. I leave my Onkyo DD receivers constantly powered, too, one for 4 years and the other whenever I am at the vacation house, without any problems. Back in the 70's there was a big to-do about whether to turn solid state equipment off or not, and the general consensus was that running at idle (0.1 amp is what the receiver in the 790 package draws at idle) was less damaging than turning it on and off due to voltage spikes/transients as the equipment routed power.

I can see no reason, from my experience, why you would need to turn it off.

Doug

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Turning it off or leaving it on is preference, some say the receiver last longer if you leave it on constantly but others will disagree so you're not hurting anything by doing it eather way. I leave mine on 24/7 because I use it for background music when I'm not watching tv and also when I'm not here I have to have noise in the house or my dog tears everything up, so it's cheaper than replacing furniture.

I do wonder why you say your speaker reset each time you turn it off, that should not happen, it should keep the same settings when you turn it off and back on. Unless, you're just changing it in the temporary level settings on the remote and not going into the "speaker setup menu" when you set the levels or anything else in the "setup menu" it's permanant. If you just change it in the quick level settings without going into the setup menu it will revert back to what's in the setup menu each time you turn it off and back on.

·
Registered
29,326 Posts

Unless, you're just changing it in the temporary level settings on the remote and not going into the "speaker setup menu" when you set the levels or anything else in the "setup menu" it's permanant. If you just change it in the quick level settings without going into the setup menu it will revert back to what's in the setup menu each time you turn it off and back on.
Bingo!!! That's probably what most people are doing wrong. I couldn't figure out why people were saying their receiver won't hold the channel settings. Mine always holds them.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 /forum/post/0

Turning it off or leaving it on is preference, some say the receiver last longer if you leave it on constantly but others will disagree so you're not hurting anything by doing it eather way. I leave mine on 24/7 because I use it for background music when I'm not watching tv and also when I'm not here I have to have noise in the house or my dog tears everything up, so it's cheaper than replacing furniture.

I do wonder why you say your speaker reset each time you turn it off, that should not happen, it should keep the same settings when you turn it off and back on. Unless, you're just changing it in the temporary level settings on the remote and not going into the "speaker setup menu" when you set the levels or anything else in the "setup menu" it's permanant. If you just change it in the quick level settings without going into the setup menu it will revert back to what's in the setup menu each time you turn it off and back on.

BINGO is right....i wasnt aware the remote settings were temp...all is good now

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.