AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How in the world did this fly so far under the radar??? I saw Stanley Jordan 1 time in ~93 or 94 and I still rank that in my all time top 5 live performances I have witnessed.......this guy is a genius IMO and just puts out some amazing music.

I just accidentally discovered this was out on BR and it just shot to the top of my Netflix que. Here is the only review I could find.....(scroll down and it is the 2nd review on the page)

http://popdose.com/blu-ray-reviews-m...paris-concert/

Does anyone here have this and if so how is it? What audio options are there?

·
Registered
400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe /forum/post/16969322

How in the world did this fly so far under the radar??? I saw Stanley Jordan 1 time in ~93 or 94 and I still rank that in my all time top 5 live performances I have witnessed.......this guy is a genius IMO and just puts out some amazing music.

I just accidentally discovered this was out on BR and it just shot to the top of my Netflix que. Here is the only review I could find.....(scroll down and it is the 2nd review on the page)

If you like SJ, you should own Pat Metheny's "The Way Up". Its got to be one of the very best PQ and AQ concert disc's out there. I never tire of listening to this music.

I put the SJ disc in my Q. Im looking forward to getting it.

·
Registered
17,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyH /forum/post/16974280

If you like SJ, you should own Pat Metheny's "The Way Up". Its got to be one of the very best PQ and AQ concert disc's out there. I never tire of listening to this music.

I put the SJ disc in my Q. Im looking forward to getting it.

Thanks Denny. I did rent the PM disc a while back and remember really enjoying it. I will have SJ tom from Netflix and will report back on that one

·
Registered
7,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe /forum/post/16969322

We need to keep each other in the loop with this music BD's, as it seems we have a similar love for music.
My local Hollywood video doesn't have the selection like NF does, so I have to buy these concert BD's to enjoy them, but cost gets prohibitive. I too saw SJ in NY in an outdoor concert at Pier 17 I think it was in the mid 80's. Jean LUc Ponty performed with him as well with that white electric violin. It is a blur now, and the concert ending up in rain, but from what I remember
it was incredible. Jeff Beck does some of that playing on the fret like SJ.

Anyway, thanks for another heads up.
I am a Pat Metheny fan as well, have seen him in concert twice and would like to check out his BD.

I just started doing a youtube search and came up with some interesting SJ, but also this which I now think AL Dimeola was at that concert I saw as well.

·
Registered
17,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc /forum/post/16984878

We need to keep each other in the loop with this music BD's, as it seems we have a similar love for music.
My local Hollywood video doesn't have the selection like NF does, so I have to buy these concert BD's to enjoy them, but cost gets prohibitive. I too saw SJ in NY in an outdoor concert at Pier 17 I think it was in the mid 80's. Jean LUc Ponty performed with him as well with that white electric violin. It is a blur now, and the concert ending up in rain, but from what I remember
it was incredible. Jeff Beck does some of that playing on the fret like SJ.

Anyway, thanks for another heads up.
I am a Pat Metheny fan as well, have seen him in concert twice and would like to check out his BD.

I just started doing a youtube search and came up with some interesting SJ, but also this which I now think AL Dimeola was at that concert I saw as well.

Great story Hugh
I will check out the youtube videos. Man, I agree that we got to keep each other up to speed with these BR shows.......Glad I could make a few people aware of this SJ BR.......I was very surprised to come across this the other day.

Anyway just got done watching this and SJ is just as amazing as I remember him being from the show I saw years ago. Very unique guitar player and just flat out amazing. This one is well worth checking out as there is nothing quite like watching SJ play. His bass player is also insanely good on this disc!
This to me is true art.......Dont want to say much more except get ahold of this when you can.

There is no extras though besides a 12 minute SJ interview unfortunately.

PQ is average I would say for a BR show.

AQ is VERY good (5.1 DTS-MA is what I chose, but there is also a PCM 5.1 and stereo mix as well which I think was also PCM) except there is an unusually high tape type hiss sound that is obvious during quiet moments.....not a big deal, but it is there. Also the crowd between songs is cranked up pretty high it seems, but again minor complaint. The guitar, piano, bass and drums are all mixed very well I thought and there seems to be a lot of air around the instruments with good clarity. The tones coming out of his guitar sound incredible.

·
Registered
400 Posts
You should also put the new Return to Forever into your que.

You will NOT regret it. After The Way Up, this has become my favorite concert disc.

The AQ and PQ are absolutely amazing. Its 5 star throughout the BR.

Al, Chick and Stanley are just as sharp as ever. They dont miss a beat.

And when Chick does the drum thing on his keyboard, it shakes the foundation on my house.

My wife has lived with my LOUD theater room for 4 yrs, never saying one word about the sound level. When I came out of the theater room after watching this disc, she asked me "how much would it cost to sound proof the room?"
Made my day.

·
Registered
17,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyH /forum/post/16986583

You should also put the new Return to Forever into your que.

You will NOT regret it. After The Way Up, this has become my favorite concert disc.

The AQ and PQ are absolutely amazing. Its 5 star throughout the BR.

Al, Chick and Stanley are just as sharp as ever. They dont miss a beat.

And when Chick does the drum thing on his keyboard, it shakes the foundation on my house.

My wife has lived with my LOUD theater room for 4 yrs, never saying one word about the sound level. When I came out of the theater room after watching this disc, she asked me "how much would it cost to sound proof the room?"
Made my day.

That is great!
You actually were the one who motivated me to buy Return to Forever from your comment in the other thread about it being the only concert to stress your SVS subs.......I hope it does the same for mine (also running SVSs)
Anyway I have it sitting here, but have not watched it yet.....I will do so next chance I get. Wanted to watch SJ last night since it was a rental so I could get it back in the mail. I hope my GF gives me the same complaint after watching RTF

·
Registered
742 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe /forum/post/16986888

That is great!
You actually were the one who motivated me to buy Return to Forever from your comment in the other thread about it being the only concert to stress your SVS subs.......I hope it does the same for mine (also running SVSs)
Anyway I have it sitting here, but have not watched it yet.....I will do so next chance I get. Wanted to watch SJ last night since it was a rental so I could get it back in the mail. I hope my GF gives me the same complaint after watching RTF

Great info here lads, guess thats 3 more concerts to buy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.