AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given my noted lack of enthusiasm for Kubrick films, I figured I should let you guys know I thoroughly enjoyed this documentary. It not only painted Kubrick in a whole new light for me, but it also dispelled some of the myths I had bought into surrounding his persona (like that he was an egomaniac, for example). Not only that, but it deepened my appreciation for his body of work as each one was different, and yet each one was significant for one reason or another. He was not only constantly reinventing himself, but also constantly pushing the art form forward. Also learning that he refused to sacrifice an iota of quality in his eyes for convenience was incredibly admirable.

That is not to say that I suddenly think, for example, A Clockwork Orange is any better or more entertaining now, but just that I see it from a different perspective. Again, even if I don't really think a particular film of his is all that great, I have a deeper level of respect for him as an artist. Does that make sense? I hope it does.

Lastly, what really did it for me is that I see much of myself in his story. No, not that I arrogantly consider myself to be some great artist who is going to change the game, but that I am a mid-twentysomething with a passion for film and a deep desire to make it my life's work. Kubrick made his first film at the age of 28, and ended up making some of the most revered films of all time. I am turning 27 in a couple months, and am constantly battling with negative thoughts like "you've already passed your prime era to get a foothold in filmmaking" and other sentiments. Seeing the story of this man and his career was rather inspiring, to say the least.

Anyway, if you've never seen it, I highly recommend it.

·
Banned
525 Posts
My favorite director of all time. By coincidence just watched Clockwork

Orange for the first time in like 10 years, and was astonished at

the sheer brillance contained in one film.

Bottom line,where might a fan find this documentary as I would

certainly partake?

·
Banned
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by estoniankid /forum/post/0

My favorite director of all time. By coincidence just watched Clockwork

Orange for the first time in like 10 years, and was astonished at

the sheer brillance contained in one film.

certainly partake?

I believe it was a UK broadcast doc. I couldn't find it streaming anywhere so I put an eyepatch on and set off for the high seas.. if ya know what I mean.

·
Registered
29,352 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by estoniankid /forum/post/20851539

certainly partake?

It's included with the Clockwork Orange Anniversary Edition Blu-ray (the one in the digibook).

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
I got myself the Blu-ray limited edition boxset this weekend, and as one of my favorite directors, I can't wait to watch A Life In Pictures as well and rediscover these amazing movies.

I know it doesn't add anything to the conversation, but I'm just glad I have it so there!

·
Registered
3,842 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 /forum/post/20851650

I believe it was a UK broadcast doc. I couldn't find it streaming anywhere so I put an eyepatch on and set off for the high seas.. if ya know what I mean.

Buy the Kubrick Blu-ray collection box set. Keep your pirate suit for halloween.

·
Banned
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore /forum/post/20853425

Buy the Kubrick Blu-ray collection box set. Keep your pirate suit for halloween.

You're saying 'Boxes' is included in that collection? I intend to buy it, I was just on a Kubrickian high and wanted to watch it right then. Doesn't deter me from purchasing the collection in the slightest.

Something I saw today that is on topic here, there are 3 undeveloped Kubrick films in the works currently:

http://collider.com/three-stanley-ku...o-films/22827/

·
Registered
7,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 /forum/post/20853477

Something I saw today that is on topic here, there are 3 undeveloped Kubrick films in the works currently:

http://collider.com/three-stanley-ku...o-films/22827/

from the article: “We are approaching A-list directors for the project because it is an A-list script,” says Steven Lanning, co-founder of Philco Films, while speaking with Screen Daily. While they are shooting for an A-list cast as well, he understands that they “need the director first.” well duh! I assume Uwe Boll won't get a call from Philco. Depends on who they consider "A-List", cause several A-List guys wouldn't particularly fit the Kubrick universe... I'm not even sure of Spielberg anymore. I would trust Fincher though, or Aronovsky, maybe Malick even.

·
Banned
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SycamoreSeej
Still hate that I have to buy a BluRay player to get the new Full Metal Jacket. Warners dropped the ball on that one.
You dropped the ball by not having a Bluray player.

·
Registered
287 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 /forum/post/20890471

You dropped the ball by not having a Bluray player.

Blame the economy. Believe me, it's on my list of future purchases, or should i say Dad's future purchases. Stupid poverty...

·
Registered
3,842 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SycamoreSeej /forum/post/20893884

Blame the economy. Believe me, it's on my list of future purchases, or should i say Dad's future purchases. Stupid poverty...

If you have and can afford an HD TV, you owe it to yourself to get a Blu-ray player.

·
Registered
287 Posts
My budget's more like under $120. So right now the only must-have would be that its gotta have RCA outputs, for until our CRT craps out on us (or whenever I get a steady income-whichever comes first), then i'll upgrade to an HD tv. My friend's got a Vizio 26" LCD and looks damn good when he plays XBox and his PS3. So i might get a similar Vizio and maybe a matching Vizio BluRay player.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 /forum/post/20850419

"you've already passed your prime era to get a foothold in filmmaking" and other sentiments. Seeing the story of this man and his career was rather inspiring, to say the least

Nuf Said - You have everything in front of you.

Kubrick's age and career is a subtle hint...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.