AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got one of each of these cartridges, does anyone have experience with either? Which one sounds better? Both need a new stylus but if one cartridge is better than the other I'll just buy a single stylus. Problem 2: Finding the correct stylus that sounds good and won't wreck discs for either the 600 or 680EL. Record player is a Technics SL-1200MK2, have no idea if the 600 cartridge is an E or A type. Advice needed!

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
I would guess the higher number is better, but the 680 is an older cartridge, though it has been improved over the years. I suspect the 600 is newer in the product line, with a shorter history. I think I have a 680 that dates back to 1978.

The fact that the 680 has been in production for decades in an indication that it is a pretty good cartridge.

However, Stanton today is pretty much limited to DJ cartridge. Most DJ cartridges have a CONICAL needle, however, for HiFi you definitely want an ELIPTICAL needle, or some variation of a hyper-elliptical or Shibata stylus.

Steve/bluewizard

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I couldn't find much on the 600. I did find a couple of specs that said its range was slightly better than the 680, but I couldn't confirm. I'm considering this Jico stylus:

http://www.turntableneedles.com/D68...rtridges--our-Needle-824-DEL-copy_p_1609.html

Not crazy expensive, at least has elliptical needle. Good choice? For 40 bucks should I just throw another $100 or so in and buy a better cartridge, or can I buy a better one than the 680EL for that much?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
The Stanton 600 is a moving iron cartridge like the 680/681. It was intended (IIRC) at one point as a replacement for the Stanton 500 / Pickering V-15 -- but that didn't work out. I have a few NOS 600-series stylii here but no idea when/if I'll get around to using them.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update! I got a D6800EL NOS. Using the Sl-1200MK2 with Stanton 680EL, Yamaha HTR-5790 as a preamp into a Phase Linear 400, Athena WS-60's and Athena ASP-400. Sounds awesome! Thanks for the input!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts