AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based on the D* letter and their interpretation of the law, I am interested in alternatives. Many on the forum mention Star Choice and I checked their programming and it is very good. However, is it possible to get their service in the States and not wind up doing 5 to 10 with some former CEO?

Thanks.

BGM

·
Registered
451 Posts
You won't do time. Chances are you wouldn't be taken alive.

It all depends where you live. I don't think you can get the signal too far south. I haven't seen any discussion of the bit rate of their HD channels.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JMM-

I am in Connecticut. How do I get the service (SC says they won't sign up a US resident)? Since you are comfortable I won't do time, how long will I have to wear Martha Stewart's ankle bracelet?

Thanks.

BGM

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I highly doubt that going to jail should be considered a legit concern..

I would say you have about as good a chance of winning the lotto as you do going to jail for using Star Choice south of the border..

I am currently a BEV sub, and going to jail is not a concern for me at all...

·
Registered
532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMurphy2003
JMM-

I am in Connecticut. How do I get the service (SC says they won't sign up a US resident)? Since you are comfortable I won't do time, how long will I have to wear Martha Stewart's ankle bracelet?

Thanks.

BGM
I've had Star Choice since January and love it! Programming is varied and the PQ is better than most channels on D*. They never have more than two HD channels on a transponder, so no HD-Lite! Signal strength should be fine in your area with either their 60 or 75 cm elliptical dish.

If you have a friend or relative in Canada, use their address, and put the billing on your credit card. That way, there is no need for them to forward the monthly bills.

Buy your equipment through Kusat ( www.kusat.com ) in Quebec.

If you have no contacts in Canada, Kusat or Cathy at TVM ([email protected]) act as brokers and will set you up for a nominal annual fee. Well worth it in my opinion.

·
Banned
8,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMHouston
You won't do time. Chances are you wouldn't be taken alive.

It all depends where you live. I don't think you can get the signal too far south. I haven't seen any discussion of the bit rate of their HD channels.
You can get the signal fine in Florida with a .75m Dish.

I have asked the quesitions about bitrates in several forums over the past 2 weeks and have gotten no definitive response on bit rates or resolution.

·
Registered
177 Posts
How hard is it to find the signal for BEV? I'm a complete fool when it comes to pointing dish and the whole longitude/latitude thing. I'd probably would get BEV if I could figure out for sure that I can get a signal and that I can find someone to install it. I'm in an apartment so I just can't throw the dish anywhere, most likely I'd take down my 2nd D* dish and put the BEV one where that was. Does the BEV dish face the same direction as D*? I'm in Claremont NH. Any help would be greeatly appreciated.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Gibbs
Does the BEV dish face the same direction as D*?
No, it is 23 degrees to the left. The SC elliptical dish is aimed 1 degree to the right of the DTV elliptical dish

·
Registered
815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomagnate
It's east coast networks I'm after.

If you are only after US nets, SC is the cheapest as 4 Detroit, PBS Buffalo, + 3 Seattle HD channels are included in all packages from the Essentials (basics) and up. Cost is about $30usd/ month tax in . Apparently CBC HD and Komo Seattle HD are being added to these at end of September.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Here are some TSreader video PID measurements from StarChoice:

MCHD Chicago 11.4 Mbs

FoxE 24 9.2 Mbs

CBSE Young + Restless 11.0 Mbs

All are 1920 by 1080i. John

·
Registered
932 Posts
SC is well worth it IMO for HD. You get East and West HD Feeds (ABC is coming later next month). For me, I can't get OTA so it works out great. Also, if you want to be able to record, they have an HDPVR DSR530. Or you can use the HD201 decoder and have it modded for to use for the r5000 and record HD to PC or DVHS as well. Works great.

Darin

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I have a couple questions about StarChoice and Bell ExpressVu. Is the show Veronica Mars shown in HD on either of those providers. The other question I have is about the StarChoice HD DVR can it record 2 programs at the same time like the DirecTV HD Tivo.

if this was wrong thread or something would someone please point me to the correct area or some other site that would have the HD listings available in Canada

thanks

·
Registered
838 Posts
So you get all the major networks in HD (except for ABC at this point)? If that is true, I might be interested.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMAC
So you get all the major networks in HD (except for ABC at this point)?
SC HD Lineup:

281 - Sportsnet (must sub to sports pack to get it)

282 - The Movie Network - (east only - must sub to TMN pkg to get it)

283 - Movie Central - (west only - must sub to MC pkg to get it)

The rest are available to all

284 - NBC Detroit

285 - ABC Detroit

286 - CBS Detroit

287 - Fox Detroit

288 - PBS Buffalo (24 hour PBS HD loop)

289 - NBC Seattle

290- CBS Seattle

291 - Fox Seattle

To be added to fall - ABC Seattle (KOMO), CBC, SRC (French CBC) + probably CTV east and west.

·
Registered
838 Posts
OK. After taking some time to figure out their programming offers, it does seem like a good deal. I live in Indiana. How in the world do I get signed up with them. I thought somebody on here said they tried and SC said they don't sign up US residents. What do I do?

·
Premium Member
48,895 Posts
I don't think either offers all of those, but I could be wrong.

But then no one in the US does, either.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.