AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after a long time of following this forums for ideas, I finally get to start my own build thread! So excited!

I am doing an open floor plan since I don't really want to spend a lot of money in the build. My wife and I don't plan on being in this house for too long so I figured this would let me build Star City Cinema v1.0. But more importantly I get a nice space to enjoy some movies!

So here is my plan on the space.

Here are other pics of the empty space.

I am going to borrow some ideas from The Pocoloco Theater .

So let the fun begin...

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So the first thing to tackle this weekend is that I am going to be taking down the wall insulation and putting up some 1" rigid board. You can blame Holmes on Homes for this step.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Worms /forum/post/18258106

So the first thing to tackle this weekend is that I am going to be taking down the wall insulation and putting up some 1" rigid board. You can blame Holmes on Homes for this step.

Hey its good to do..I was in residential construction for 14 years and HH shows me something new and improved every day. Good luck and Im gonna try and follow your build.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Great plan! Great space to work with, what are the dimensions?

Can't wait to see the transformation of your build

--Manny

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to both of you!

The theater space is 13' Wide by 30' deep to the back wall. Ceiling height is 8' except for on the left side which is 7' because of the main furnace trunk runs.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay got down all of the blanket insulation. That was not fun! Trash man is going to love me for the next few weeks.

Question, anybody know of a good way to pull the nails they used to hold the insulation to the walls? I was thinking of a saw zaw.

·
Registered
875 Posts
now that would be a very quick and easy way to do it, but the old framer's way would be the hammer...
holy time consuming, take forever!

--Manny

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is a pic of the old insulation.

So to remove the old nails that held up the insulation... these guys.

I used this tool...It cuts them like butter.
Finally had a use for this tool.

And here is the progress so far.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Holy trash

The old Dewalt to the rescue, NICE.

Great progress so far, before you know it you'll be watching movies.

--Manny

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Awesome man...and make sure you do it right the first time...less money in the long run. Foam board looking good. Will help out a lot with insulation and sound. Remember to tape seams..

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikieson /forum/post/18277770

Awesome man...and make sure you do it right the first time...less money in the long run. Foam board looking good. Will help out a lot with insulation and sound. Remember to tape seams..

Thanks. I will remember to do tape the seams.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
BigWorms,

Nice clean slate you have to work with. Great choice to pull down that wrapped insulation and go with foam board!!

I just subscribed - so keep those photos coming, and take full advantage of the excellent advice and inputs on this forum

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Craig. Yeah the insulation is one thing I thought a lot about. I did tons of reading and this seems the best way of doing it. I have one complete wall done and so far I am really liking it. I hope to have all walls done by this weekend.

I love pics, so I will make sure to keep posting them as I take them.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Good to have another Denver area theater in the works... looking good, best of luck

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks!

Progress was slow past 2 weekends. Wife and 3 kids got strep throat so had to take care of them. Hopefully get more done this week. This insulation is not the funnest thing to be doing.

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
I too watch Holmes on Homes, he is my wife's new hero and she now would like him to come and fix our house. The only thing is he would be tearing down and bad mouthing mostly my work.
I do like his approach to things and sure wish the majority builders and contractors had his philosophy and work ethic.

I will be watching your build and hopefully your new product (A/V cabinet built in) too here in your thread. Your layout looks good and it also looks like you have a great space to work with.

You won't regret taking the extra time doing the insulation, I went the spray foam route and have not looked back, would do it again in a snap.

Regards,

RTROSE

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, you can learn a lot from Mike Holmes. Funny I thought the same thing about some of my remodels I have done in my previous house and this one.

I tell you what though, I have half the basement done with insulation and this stuff makes a big difference. Walls feel so much warmer than before. Even my wife said the same thing.

Thanks for watching this thread. I will post my other "side" project in this thread. I need to do it while I have the basement ceiling open, so this is a good time.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got to make some progress over the weekend on the insulation.

And last section to finish but I ran out of foam board.

I still need to pick up some tape to seal the seams. This stuff is easy but so boring.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I also decided to bring in my rack to see how I am going to frame around it. My plan was to put the rack under the stairs. I am going to build a room in there for it. The only thing I found out when I put it where I want is that it is a little bigger than I thought.

So my concern is that I would only have about a foot to walk through on the side of it to get to the back. Not sure what I am going to do yet.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
And finally I changed my layout a little bit. Here is the new layout.

I am going to build a half wall in the back to match the rest of my house like this.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts