AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 2612 Posts

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's the first trailer.

Edit: This trailer is region-locked to Canada. If you're in the US, see post #4.

The premiere will be on CBS (CTV in Canada) and subsequent episodes will air on CBS All Access (Space in Canada). In other countries, you will be able to watch it on Netflix.

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
The trailer appears to have been removed. It's always a good sign when the suits don't want you to know anything about a new show, right? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
14,549 Posts
Yup. Got to go the source.

It's fortunate that this is Trek and it appears on the official Trek Youtube channel. CBS are basically doing the best they can to tie every snippet to cbs.com to gather as much revenue as possible.

·
Registered
14,549 Posts
One of my first thoughts when I saw the trailer was "Not another alien race."

Too many aliens is major problem for Trek. Every other episode became like the Cantina of Dumb Prosthetics as the show went on with lazy rubber-faced filler wandering around in the background. Especially when they were used and forgotten a week later. It bugged me on Angel and Buffy too with the monsters.

I'd rather have a universe of smaller scope and fewer and more detailed races like Babylon 5 to work with. The (star)ship has long since sailed at Trek though.

This trailer also reminds me of Andromeda. It also reminds me of Crusade too. And neither in a good way.

Reactions: barrelbelly

·
Registered
660 Posts
Another female captain? bleh
According to Wikipedia, the captain of the Discovery is male and played by Jason Isaacs. Yes it looks like Michelle Yeoh is cast as a Starfleet captain, but she's not captain of the titular Discovery. Hopefully you don't insist on all captains in Starfleet being male--that would be very un-Trek-like.

In any case, I won't be watching it because of the studio's insane decision to make it exclusive to CBS All-Access. I'm not paying money for a service just to watch one show. Especially a service that still has commercials even if you pay for it. :mad:

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
In any case, I won't be watching it because of the studio's insane decision to make it exclusive to CBS All-Access. I'm not paying money for a service just to watch one show. Especially a service that still has commercials even if you pay for it. :mad:
I will get it with Crave TV up here beyond the Wall.

·
Registered
11,749 Posts
According to Wikipedia, the captain of the Discovery is male and played by Jason Isaacs. Yes it looks like Michelle Yeoh is cast as a Starfleet captain, but she's not captain of the titular Discovery. Hopefully you don't insist on all captains in Starfleet being male--that would be very un-Trek-like.

Thanks, didn't know that. I don't care if every Captain is male. They just seem to be scared to death of having a female captain that has a sense of humor, or is anything less than Extremely Serious. Which is also un-Trek-like.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Thanks, didn't know that. I don't care if every Captain is male. They just seem to be scared to death of having a female captain that has a sense of humor, or is anything less than Extremely Serious. Which is also un-Trek-like.
I think it is interesting that there are two captains being cast as regulars for two different ships. This suggests to me that the story won't entirely revolve around Discovery.

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
I'm mostly just afraid that CBS will be too cowardly to create a real Star Trek show, i.e. one that's about moral dilemmas and the implications of one's choices and not just about shooting lasers in space. Considering the success of the recent "Trek" movies, I doubt this will be a proper continuation of the TV canon, because that type of show doesn't have the broad appeal that CBS probably wants.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I'm mostly just afraid that CBS will be too cowardly to create a real Star Trek show, i.e. one that's about moral dilemmas and the implications of one's choices and not just about shooting lasers in space. Considering the success of the recent "Trek" movies, I doubt this will be a proper continuation of the TV canon, because that type of show doesn't have the broad appeal that CBS probably wants.
Having it on a pay service may give them a little more leeway since they won't have to worry about ratings alone to support it, but of course they will want enough appeal to keep people subscribing to All Access.

I'm cautiously optimistic at this point, and I'll subscribe to check it out. Delivering it via a streaming platform would give them an opportunity to release it in 4K HDR to grab the AV junkie audience, which I'm guessing has significant overlap with Star Trek fandom, but I haven't heard whether or not that's in the cards.

·
Registered
13,917 Posts
CBS is crazy making this an 'All Access' exclusive...smart $$ says it will be moved to the 'regular' CBS channel before too long...I'm not paying extra $$ for a broadcast network and I'm sure most other people feel the same which will force CBS's hand...I know they are trying to add value by making this available only as a premium service but it will backfire

1 - 20 of 2612 Posts