AVS Forum banner

2261 - 2280 of 2380 Posts

·
Registered
20,438 Posts
I guess that is why these content quality discussions can go off the rails and get so confusing so quickly. Below is what the three (3) SHOWTIME series you listed show in the SHOWTIME channel in APPLE TV app on a Fire TV 4K Stick.
  • The Chi (most recent season) on FTV4K it is the same. 4K Dolby VIsion.
  • Ray Donovan (most recent season) on FTV4K all seven (7) seasons are in HD only.
  • The Good Lord Bird on FTV4K is in 4K but no Dolby Vision.
Yeah, AppleTV Channels is a “known” issue for Viacom (CBS AA and Showtime). They have inconsistent at best listings. Always best to go through direct app if possible until it gets sorted.

·
Premium Member
9,202 Posts
Can't this talk about how to get the show in 4K etc., go elsewhere?

I really enjoyed the first episode and can't wait for more, though I'll have to. The season preview makes me want more, now. Unfortunately, the season will be done all too soon.

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
Can't this talk about how to get the show in 4K etc., go elsewhere?

I really enjoyed the first episode and can't wait for more, though I'll have to. The season preview makes me want more, now. Unfortunately, the season will be done all too soon.
AVS "A forum community dedicated to home theater owners and enthusiasts"

4K is as much a part of the discussion as the storyline

·
Premium Member
9,202 Posts
AVS "A forum community dedicated to home theater owners and enthusiasts"

4K is as much a part of the discussion as the storyline
This thread is about a discussion about the show, not three pages in a row of "how do I." The technology of "how do I" belongs in a separate thread where discussion can discuss all streaming source for lots of programs. Having these discussions in all the various program threads is extreme overkill.

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
This thread is about a discussion about the show, not three pages in a row of "how do I." The technology of "how do I" belongs in a separate thread where discussion can discuss all streaming source for lots of programs. Having these discussions in all the various program threads is extreme overkill.
it's 'extreme overkill' for you because you don't have a 4K setup...

·
Registered
20,438 Posts
Enjoyed the first episode. Was a good intro to what we will experience this season. Hopefully they can keep the momentum going.

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
Opening scene of the new episode looked incredible in Dolby Vision.

Reactions: aaronwt

·
Premium Member
9,202 Posts
The point is, by having this discussion multiple times via many other show threads, information that may benefit others could be lost. By having this discussion in a single location benefits all who need to find out what can help them.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
9,056 Posts
I have a 4K setup. Pages and pages of where do I stream this, buy this, why isn't this free on cbs etc etc is all a lot of clutter to read about the actual show.

·
Registered
26,799 Posts
I watched via the Amazon Prime CBS-AA channel. Audio was DD5.1, but the bass was way overcooked for this episode. I turned my volume down 10 dB below normal levels and my wife still came downstairs to complain that the whole house was shaking, even during non-action scenes. My room is pretty well nailed down, yet I still got a rattle from somewhere. It was really obnoxious and distracting. The whole soundtrack was drowned in boomy bass.

Anyone else have that problem?

I switched the CBS-AA standalone app afterwards to check it out there. On Roku, I can't even get 5.1 from that app. Audio was just stereo.

·
Registered
26,799 Posts
As for the episode, I thought it was interesting and a good setup for the season, though I could have done with a whole lot less of Burnham gasping in shock and amazement that, "The Federation is gone?! How is that possible?" or "OMG, are those personal transporters???" The woman traveled 900 years into the future. You've got to expect that stuff's gonna be a little different.

For that matter, it bugs me that all the characters talk about time in terms of years. Years relative to what planet? Earth is not the center of the universe.

I also found the idea of one guy staying on a starbase waiting for Starfleet to return generations after the Federation collapsed to be kind of ridiculous. He's like that one redneck in your town still convinced that the Confederacy will rise again any minute now.

Reactions: shivaji

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
I switched the CBS-AA standalone app afterwards to check it out there. On Roku, I can't even get 5.1 from that app. Audio was just stereo.
If you are paying for the commercial-free version, in the CBSAA Roku app, you should be able to hit the star key and toggle audio options: DD, DD+. The Roku is my go-to for CBSAA as it's the only way I can get DD+ (or any 5.1 audio) on almost all their content.

My subwoofer definitely got a workout during the episode, but I didn't find it overwhelming or problematic. Lot's of activity in my rear speakers. A couple times I looked up to see if someone was outside my house.

·
Registered
26,799 Posts
If you are paying for the commercial-free version, in the CBSAA Roku app, you should be able to hit the star key and toggle audio options: DD, DD+.
Does it normally default to stereo, and you have to manually choose 5.1?

Just tried it and, yup, that's exactly what happened. How stupid. Will the app at least remember my preference for 5.1, or do I have to turn it on every time?

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Does it normally default to stereo, and you have to manually choose 5.1?

Just tried it and, yup, that's exactly what happened. How stupid. Will the app at least remember my preference for 5.1, or do I have to turn it on every time?
Nope. You have to reset it for every piece of content you watch. It's lame but it's 5.1 DD+, something I can't get anywhere else for CBSAA, including 4K Fire TV, PS4, LG OLED, and the new Google TV Chromecast.

·
UHD Addict
37,496 Posts
Same with Amazon Prime Video channels. No HDR or DV support for Discovery or Picard. Have to go to standalone CBS AA app for DV. For some odd reason they have 4K support for 2nd season of TWILIGHT ZONE and 4th season of GOOD FIGHT. But, no 4K support for the two flagship Star Trek shows?
I watched Picard earlier this year through the Amazon CBS AA channel and it had DV. DIscovery had it as well earlier this year. Right now though I am watching CBS AA directly from their app. Since I am currently on a free month.

·
Registered
26,799 Posts
Nope. You have to reset it for every piece of content you watch. It's lame but it's 5.1 DD+, something I can't get anywhere else for CBSAA, including 4K Fire TV, PS4, LG OLED, and the new Google TV Chromecast.
I subscribed to CBS-AA through the Amazon Channels system. I get DD+ 5.1 when using the Amazon app.

When I've compared them in the past, video quality through Amazon was sharper than the low-bit-rate stream from the CBS-AA app.

Reactions: allargon

·
UHD Addict
37,496 Posts
I'm going to wait until late December to re-subscribe...that way I can watch The Stand and S3 of Discovery...unless there's some free trial of CBS-AA currently available...there always seems to be a free trial...
Thanks for the reminder.
I forgot about The Stand coming out later this year.

·
Registered
26,799 Posts
I watched Picard earlier this year through the Amazon CBS AA channel and it had DV. DIscovery had it as well earlier this year. Right now though I am watching CBS AA directly from their app. Since I am currently on a free month.
Are you sure you're not thinking of the Apple TV channel? As far as I'm aware, the CBS-AA channel in Amazon has never had HDR or Dolby Vision.

·
UHD Addict
37,496 Posts
I watched via the Amazon Prime CBS-AA channel. Audio was DD5.1, but the bass was way overcooked for this episode. I turned my volume down 10 dB below normal levels and my wife still came downstairs to complain that the whole house was shaking, even during non-action scenes. My room is pretty well nailed down, yet I still got a rattle from somewhere. It was really obnoxious and distracting. The whole soundtrack was drowned in boomy bass.

Anyone else have that problem?

That's normal. Stereo is the norm from most devices on the CBS AA app. EVen though the description will show 5.1.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
I subscribed to CBS-AA through the Amazon Channels system. I get DD+ 5.1 when using the Amazon app.

When I've compared them in the past, video quality through Amazon was sharper than the low-bit-rate stream from the CBS-AA app.
I usually go with the deals for CBSAA, so currently I'm subbing directly via CBSAA, though I'm aware of the better quality and 5.1 via Amazon Channels. It's a trade off for a service I don't have much use for outside of a couple shows.

2261 - 2280 of 2380 Posts