AVS Forum banner

2281 - 2301 of 2380 Posts

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
I watched via the Amazon Prime CBS-AA channel. Audio was DD5.1, but the bass was way overcooked for this episode. I turned my volume down 10 dB below normal levels and my wife still came downstairs to complain that the whole house was shaking, even during non-action scenes. My room is pretty well nailed down, yet I still got a rattle from somewhere. It was really obnoxious and distracting. The whole soundtrack was drowned in boomy bass.

Anyone else have that problem?

I switched the CBS-AA standalone app afterwards to check it out there. On Roku, I can't even get 5.1 from that app. Audio was just stereo.
I watched it the same way. I didn't think that the bass was too much. Are you sure your receiver didn't get reset or anything? I did notice that the episode was LOUDER than previous episodes especially with all the "pew pew" shooting going on.

·
UHD Addict
37,496 Posts
If you are paying for the commercial-free version, in the CBSAA Roku app, you should be able to hit the star key and toggle audio options: DD, DD+. The Roku is my go-to for CBSAA as it's the only way I can get DD+ (or any 5.1 audio) on almost all their content.

My subwoofer definitely got a workout during the episode, but I didn't find it overwhelming or problematic. Lot's of activity in my rear speakers. A couple times I looked up to see if someone was outside my house.
I'll need to check that out then to get 5.1. Assuming it is in dolby vision from my TCL TV CBS AA app. Since I would rather watch it from a Roku device than from the ATV 4k that I used last night.

·
UHD Addict
37,496 Posts
Are you sure you're not thinking of the Apple TV channel? As far as I'm aware, the CBS-AA channel in Amazon has never had HDR or Dolby Vision.
It could be. It is certainly hard sometimes keeping everything straight. Since I use multiple streaming devices to watch my content. Rokus, Shield TVs, Fire TV 4K sticks, ATV 4Ks, Google Chromecast, internal Roku TV apps, and UHD BD player apps.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I'll need to check that out then to get 5.1. Assuming it is in dolby vision from my TCL TV CBS AA app. Since I would rather watch it from a Roku device than from the ATV 4k that I used last night.
Sorry. No HDR or Dolby Vision support with the standalone CBS AA app on a TCL Roku TV. (See my equipment in signature field.) I have to use Fire TV 4K Stick with standalone CBS AA app in order to get 1080p HDR/DV on Discovery and Picard.

Reactions: aaronwt

·
Registered
15,801 Posts
Stars Sonequa Martin-Green (Commander Michael Burnham) and David Ajala (Cleveland "Book" Booker), along with Executive Producer and Co-Showrunner Michelle Paradise and Executive Producer and Director Olatunde Osunsanmi, provide insight into the new and distant future Burnham finds herself in - and the one person who can help her locate the U.S.S. Discovery.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
It is certainly hard sometimes keeping everything straight.
I agree with you!!

I subscribe to a number of services through Prime Video channels. To date, I have seen no support for any content in 4K much less HDR/DV and/or ATMOS on both Roku and FTV4K devices. Don't get me wrong, the 1080p and 5.1 audio via Prime Video Channel is top notch, but they are not supporting 4K or HDR/DV on content that is available in those treatments on other hardware and through other subscription methods.

·
UHD Addict
37,496 Posts
I watched it the same way. I didn't think that the bass was too much. Are you sure your receiver didn't get reset or anything? I did notice that the episode was LOUDER than previous episodes especially with all the "pew pew" shooting going on.
From the ATV 4K I watched it from last night it was the opposite. The 5.1 pcm audio coming from the ATV 4K was unusually low. Much lower than anything else I've watch from my ATV 4K boxes. Another reason why I would prefer to watch from another streamer that can bitstream the DD+.

·
Registered
26,799 Posts
I will say, it's nice to see David Ajala on a good sci-fi show after the mess that Nightflyers turned out to be. :)

·
Premium Member
9,202 Posts
It could be. It is certainly hard sometimes keeping everything straight. Since I use multiple streaming devices to watch my content. Rokus, Shield TVs, Fire TV 4K sticks, ATV 4Ks, Google Chromecast, internal Roku TV apps, and UHD BD player apps.
Damn! I thought I had a lot of satellite gear. The wiring must be a mess.

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
From the ATV 4K I watched it from last night it was the opposite. The 5.1 pcm audio coming from the ATV 4K was unusually low. Much lower than anything else I've watch from my ATV 4K boxes. Another reason why I would prefer to watch from another streamer that can bitstream the DD+.
Same for me. I had to turn up the volume from my usual -12 db to -3 db on my Denon AVR.

Reactions: aaronwt

·
Registered
1,536 Posts

·
Registered
27,438 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Dang -- first day ratings for S-3 must have been really good!
LOL. They had already hinted at a Season 4 renewal.

Alex Kurtzman recently mentioned in an article discussing Star Trek shows that are 'on paper' planned out to 2027 that recent Star Trek shows have had a history of going at least seven (7) years. So, unless viewership of these shows really go off the rails, I would expect more renewals.

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
I have a 4K setup. Pages and pages of where do I stream this, buy this, why isn't this free on cbs etc etc is all a lot of clutter to read about the actual show.
most of the "which platforms support 4K HDR" discussion takes place before the new season premieres so it really shouldn't be that big of a deal...plus with weekly releases there is a lot of down time...and 4K HDR/SDR is a part of the series...there's nothing stopping anyone from discussing the plot and ignoring the 4K discussion

·
Premium Member
9,202 Posts
You seem to be ignoring the fact that more people would benefit from having the discussion on how to get 4K/DV/HDR/DD51 into a separate thread.

Noting in a thread how great 4K/DV/HDR/DD51 is, is just fine. But, how to get it, isn't.

·
Premium Member
9,202 Posts
...preferably with Dolby Atmos, Dolby Digital Plus, or at least good ol' 5.1 Dolby Digital audio.
Keep in mind that DDPlus can be either 2.0 or 5.1. Without Atmos, for instance, DDP has no advantage over plain DD.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Liked the first episode of the new season. Bad guy with aim worse than storm troopers was a little much. Show looked fantastic. Creatures and ships looked great odd ship design though.

·
Premium Member
9,202 Posts
It is 930 years into the future. Can't expect the ship designs to stay the same.

2281 - 2301 of 2380 Posts