AVS Forum banner

2301 - 2320 of 2380 Posts

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
If you are paying for the commercial-free version, in the CBSAA Roku app, you should be able to hit the star key and toggle audio options: DD, DD+. The Roku is my go-to for CBSAA as it's the only way I can get DD+ (or any 5.1 audio) on almost all their content.

My subwoofer definitely got a workout during the episode, but I didn't find it overwhelming or problematic. Lot's of activity in my rear speakers. A couple times I looked up to see if someone was outside my house.
I not up to speed on the Roku but are you sure your not just up converting the stereo feed from the app internal to the Roku (The Sheild has this option to up convert stereo to dd/dd+). My Sheild just gets PCM stereo for the CBSAA app with the upconvert option turned off of course.

·
UHD Addict
37,496 Posts
I not up to speed on the Roku but are you sure your not just up converting the stereo feed from the app internal to the Roku (The Sheild has this option to up convert stereo to dd/dd+). My Sheild just gets PCM stereo for the CBSAA app with the upconvert option turned off of course.
I just checked on my ROkus with Discovery S3E1. You can get 5.1 DD+ from CBS AA on the ROku. As someone else mentioned, you need to go into the CBS AA playback settings while playing the content and select the Dolby Digital track. And then you will get 5.1 instead of stereo.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
9,056 Posts
This episode looked like it setup the season three of discovery to be similar to season 1 of the show "andromeda" (which I loved, at least seasons 1 & 2).

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Good start to Season 3. I wished we some of the rest of the crew, but that's fine for 1 show. Hopefully that's it though. I don't need most of a season about Michael's quest here. The episode looked good and the tech seemed pretty interesting. That loyal remaining Star Fleet dude though. Man, seems lonely. Good stuff though. I'm so glad it's back.

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
I also found the idea of one guy staying on a starbase waiting for Starfleet to return generations after the Federation collapsed to be kind of ridiculous. He's like that one redneck in your town still convinced that the Confederacy will rise again any minute now.
Agreed, but once you get past that it was a very emotional scene for me. Great finish and portend of what's to come in this season, getting back to what ST was all about.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I was blown away by the cutting-edge digital VFX; the opener so far has the look and feel of a feature that would cost over 200 million bucks! The production went all the way to Iceland for location shooting. That's a place that truly looks more like an alien planet than anything else, and sci-fi filmmakers have made perfect use of the spectacular vistas there over the past decade or so. (Star Trek Into Darkness also shot one scene there).

The writing also seems much better this year, and just the right amount of humor complimented Burnham's peril and predicament, in addition to the two welcome new cast members, who no doubt will threaten to upstage those among the NCC-1031 crew who manage to survive the trip through the time vortex.

This really sets the bar that much higher for Strange New Worlds and Section 31 when they finally arrive on a newly renamed Paramount+.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
I was blown away by the cutting-edge digital VFX; the opener so far has the look and feel of a feature that would cost over 200 million bucks! The production went all the way to Iceland for location shooting. That's a place that truly looks more like an alien planet than anything else, and sci-fi filmmakers have made perfect use of the spectacular vistas there over the past decade or so. (Star Trek Into Darkness also shot one scene there).

The writing also seems much better this year, and just the right amount of humor complimented Burnham's peril and predicament, in addition to the two welcome new cast members, who no doubt will threaten to upstage those among the NCC-1031 crew who manage to survive the trip through the time vortex.

This really sets the bar that much higher for Strange New Worlds and Section 31 when they finally arrive on a newly renamed Paramount+.
Well said. Totally agree.

·
Registered
27,438 Posts
I realize I'm crossing genres here, but I'm wondering who would win in a shootout between Andorians and Imperial Storm Troopers? My guess is they'd use up all their energy bolt ammo without hitting anybody, call it a draw, and go home.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
This episode looked like it setup the season three of discovery to be similar to season 1 of the show "andromeda" (which I loved, at least seasons 1 & 2).
I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed it. I guess the writers felt that since both were Gene Roddenberry properties, why not marry the two?

·
Registered
834 Posts

It absolutely felt like I was watching a movie not a TV show. Also, the chemistry between Michael and Book was excellent from beginning to end.

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
Star Trek: Discovery EP Answers Our Burning Questions About Season 3's Breakout Star: Grudge the Cat

“Grudge is an absolute hit,” Discovery executive producer and co-showrunner Michelle Paradise tells TVLine with a laugh. “I think Grudge is everyone’s favorite new character…Everyone, of course, wants to be on set on the days when we’re shooting the cat. Including me"...

·
Registered
27,438 Posts
Star Trek: Discovery EP Answers Our Burning Questions About Season 3's Breakout Star: Grudge the Cat

“Grudge is an absolute hit,” Discovery executive producer and co-showrunner Michelle Paradise tells TVLine with a laugh. “I think Grudge is everyone’s favorite new character…Everyone, of course, wants to be on set on the days when we’re shooting the cat. Including me"...

Figured Grudge had to be a Maine Coon (or two, actually). Those cats are big critters. Probably eat you out of house & home. And let's not even talk about the litter box. :LOL:

·
Premium Member
9,202 Posts
Figured Grudge had to be a Maine Coon (or two, actually). Those cats are big critters. Probably eat you out of house & home. And let's not even talk about the litter box. :LOL:
Grudge wasn't listed in the credits. Not a BIG enough part, I guess. For a Saint Bernard, Grudge would be an appetizer. :eek: I wouldn't even want to pay the food bill for one of those dogs.

·
Registered
15,801 Posts
Guess I am in the minority here.

I thought the visual effects were simply stunning, some of the best I have ever seen on a made for TV show.

Story wise, I was rather bored. Some very interesting moments (e.g. what happened to Star Fleet, why did the burn happen, etc.) but the other stuff, rather boring. Another sci-fi and another smuggler that turns out to be doing good. Only seen that about a hundred times now. Other story arcs I just found uninteresting. I know it is the start of the season and there is a lot to build up to. The previews for what to come looked awesome. Even if the story is boring, this show is worth watching just to see the visual effects and the great surround sound.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Story wise it's going to be tough for Discovery to top the scale and urgency of the previous season's in which the fate of all organic life hinged on one action, stopping Control from getting the Sphere data. The stakes will never be that high again without the show getting repetitive.

·
Registered
27,438 Posts
I actually found last season's plot line about Control & the Sphere & the Red Angel kind of convoluted, confusing and needlessly messy. I enjoyed the first season a lot more. Klingons - bad! Federation - good! Double agents - bad (but in a good way)! Burnham - good (but not terribly likable)! Easy! :)

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
Story wise it's going to be tough for Discovery to top the scale and urgency of the previous season's in which the fate of all organic life hinged on one action, stopping Control from getting the Sphere data. The stakes will never be that high again without the show getting repetitive.
I thought for sure Season 2's villain was going to end up being the origins of The Borg but alas it wasn't...

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I was blown away by the cutting-edge digital VFX; the opener so far has the look and feel of a feature that would cost over 200 million bucks!
It absolutely felt like I was watching a movie not a TV show.

And a lot of post-production work done from people's homes.

Reactions: aaronwt
2301 - 2320 of 2380 Posts