AVS Forum banner

2701 - 2720 of 2745 Posts

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Does Discovery have the ability to block transporters? I thought that was something Osyraa brought on board when she captured the ship. It was emphasized several times in the episode that the Emerald Chain has the best scientists in the galaxy.
Seriously?

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Does Discovery have the ability to block transporters? I thought that was something Osyraa brought on board when she captured the ship. It was emphasized several times in the episode that the Emerald Chain has the best scientists in the galaxy.
It's always been a basic facet of technology in the Star Trek universe that shields block transporters. Discovery quickly learned the first time it visited Earth that in the future their shields need an upgrade to block current transporter technology. One would assume that the Federation provided them such technology before sending their most prized piece of new technology out into a space that's under constant threat of attack from a powerful alliance like the Emerald Chain. If the future Federation didn't have the ability to block Emerald Chain transporter technology from boarding at will, then there's no way they even exist anymore.

For the purposes of the most recent episode, it was established that Ossyra blocked Discovery crew's ability to use their transporters to get off the ship. Hence the reason Michael blew a hole in the side of the ship to get Stamets off.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Osyraa: "...this doesn't quite taste like a real apple, does it?"

Admiral Vance: "It's pretty good for s*** ...You're eating our s***."

ROTFL!!!!

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
"Prop Master Mario Moreira displays even more of Season 3's props, including all-new futuristic weapons such as the programmable matter phaser nicknamed ""The Great White"" and a foreboding phaser rifle.

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
What a complete let down and horrible reason for what caused the burn. Man that was soooo lame.

And if that is the new "engage" catch phrase the person that came up with it should be fired.

Great special effects for the finale. This show truly is amazing in what they can do now for a TV show. Stunning. Despite the complaints above I did enjoy this season, looking forward to more.

·
Registered
908 Posts
What a complete let down and horrible reason for what caused the burn. Man that was soooo lame.

And if that is the new "engage" catch phrase the person that came up with it should be fired.

Great special effects for the finale. This show truly is amazing in what they can do now for a TV show. Stunning. Despite the complaints above I did enjoy this season, looking forward to more.
Overall, a pretty good episode though.
I got thrown for a loop when they went back to the Mirror universe but this one brought me back, thankfully. All is well in the universe again 😃

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Overall, a pretty good episode though.
I got thrown for a loop when they went back to the Mirror universe but this one brought me back, thankfully. All is well in the universe again 😃
Yes, it was a good episode. It was definitely fan service, but enjoyable fan service. The only thing still out of canon is that Starfleet has managed to actually have good admirals. I'm sure they'll correct that in future seasons.

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts

My thoughts exactly. So a kid yelled. A kid yelled. I mean, a kid yelled? THAT’S the cause? This is the best writing they could muster for this giant season plot point?

I also enjoyed the season. But still, I don’t want Micheal as captain. Saru is more interesting and likable and should be the captain. Period.

Lastly, how many captains can we have in 3 years? We’re up to, what, 6 now if you count Tilly? (Lorca, Georgiou, Pike, Saru, Tilly, Micheal). Pick a friggen captain for this series already dudes (and make it Saru)!

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
My thoughts exactly. So a kid yelled. A kid yelled. I mean, a kid yelled? THAT’S the cause? This is the best writing they could muster for this giant season plot point?

I also enjoyed the season. But still, I don’t want Micheal as captain. Saru is more interesting and likable and should be the captain. Period.

Lastly, how many captains can we have in 3 years? We’re up to, what, 6 now if you count Tilly? (Lorca, Georgiou, Pike, Saru, Tilly, Micheal). Pick a friggen captain for this series already dudes (and make it Saru)!
Saru would be a good captain in the TNG/Lower Decks era. Michael is the Kirk/Archer style captain needed for the 32nd century.

Sent using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,317 Posts
My thoughts exactly. So a kid yelled. A kid yelled. I mean, a kid yelled? THAT’S the cause?
It wasn't the yelling, it was the anger that went with it. His biology was tuned with the planet, which resulted in the "explosion." That story line was just fine by me.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
It was inevitable Michael would become captain, so I'm glad we finally got there. Though I can't believe they are all congratulating themselves in The Ready Room on the "let's fly" command. Oy!

Overall I enjoyed the season and the setup for what their explorations and encounters in this new time period can be. I just hope they come up with better uniforms since the grey isn't really working for most actors except for the redheads, Detmer and Tilly. But I guess anything is better than gold/yellow.

·
Premium Member
9,317 Posts
The turbo shafts use Tardis technology- under licence...
ROTFLMAO
(Is the forum software going to lowercase the above letters?)

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
I felt the most interesting elements of this season were the Emerald Chain and the new culture that arose after the Burn, and the least interesting was the Kelpien holodeck. And that the show spent much too little time on the former, and much too much on the latter. I was also hoping for a lot more development of the Sphere data's sentience and role on the ship.

And yeah, it seemed like the Disco is the size of a small city inside, with a public transportation system to match. All that empty volume made no sense at all.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
I mean, a kid yelled? THAT’S the cause?
If you ever heard my son scream at the age of two it would be more believable. On occasion I thought the universe was ending.

Yes, I've thought that Discovery is exceptionally lame for a Star Trek series. I mean, a spore drive instantaneously transports them light years at a time via a hitherto unknown mycelial network, and they don't have dozens of crews working on spore drive powered mines while other crews frantically set about building more spore-enabled ships? Instead they send the technology far off into the future where it won't cause any hiccups in the timeline?

I just watched a Deep Space Nine rerun where the Jem'Hadar get wiped out by their own subspace mines. The science writing on this Discovery series really seems to suck. Spore mines that can be instantaneously transported anywhere are the ultimate weapon. I can't believe they haven't got trained Tardigrade-enabled chickens deploying the mines yet.

It seems that Stamets also thinks it's a joke. He almost looks stoned when he comes out of that spore drive with that goofy grin for the first time. Is he modeled after this epynomous mushroom guru?

And where did this psilocybin trip technology originate anyway? It just magically appears without explanation, and then it gets magically transported into the future where it can't mess up the rest of the Star Trek canon? Is this Star Trek Discovery series about a lost crew that rediscovers the lost 1960's that nobody remembers?

Also the whole part about warp drive being restricted because of subspace fractures in the end of the original Star Trek canon has fallen by the wayside. I thought that the loss of faster than light travel could actually have been a great source of inspiration for story lines and heroic deeds, but no, instead we wave a magic wand and suddenly we're back to rebuilding the Federation into the bad uniforms, bad screams, and corny jokes we all know and love, without even having to break for a commercial while the Enterprise is in transit.

I do like the inclusiveness of the series however. Finally we've got the full range of human sexuality in a Star Trek series plus a somewhat believable black woman captain that isn't a product of black counterculture. It only took the progressive Gene Roddenberry crowd an additional 10 years to catch up with Netflix. Yes! Free at last.

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
It wasn't the yelling, it was the anger that went with it. His biology was tuned with the planet, which resulted in the "explosion." That story line was just fine by me.
And that somehow caused all Dilithium in the galaxy/universe to explode at almost the same time. Because he was attuned to the Dilithium of the planet?

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
If you ever heard my son scream at the age of two it would be more believable. On occasion I thought the universe was ending.

I just watched a Deep Space Nine rerun where the Jem'Hadar get wiped out by their own subspace mines. ...

I remember those days myself with my kids... Still, come on here. This was the writers best attempt to explain a really interesting phenomena (The Burn) ? Come on ..

With DS9 they just did what they do in every Trek, use technology to reprogram stuff. Conversely, this is just a kid with weird DNA screaming.

I actually very much like Discovery. I don't think I've posted much negative at all at any time about this series. But THIS is the cause of the BURN? Oy ...

2701 - 2720 of 2745 Posts