AVS Forum banner

2721 - 2740 of 2745 Posts

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Hated it.

-Somehow Discovery a 900+ year old ship...even with some upgrades withstood the fire power of multiple starships and a base station with barely a scratch?
-Some kid screamed and the entire galaxy was effected and reverted to the "dark ages" for hundreds of years?
-UGG now the most disloyal, disobedient crew member is captain? Wonder how whispering commands while crying is gonna work out in S4.
-Best character and best actor on the show is now sidelined to playing dad somewhere?

What a colossal disappointment.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Can't say I hated it. But compared to Season 2, this season was a letdown. But it did look beautiful on TV. My renewal comes up next month. Doubt I'll renew for either this series or Picard. But will renew when the Pike series is released.

·
Registered
27,240 Posts
Sadly, I have to agree with all the complaints. The writers really twisted themselves into knots inventing new "science magic" explanations to conveniently resolve everything.

We need to use the spore drive but Stamets is off the ship!
-Uhhh... Have Book do it.
How can Book operate the spore drive, which is specifically tied to Stamets' DNA?
-Uhhh... Because he's an empath?
So any empath can use it, then?
-Uhhh.... He's a special empath?
How does he know how to operate the spore drive anyway?
-Uhhh... Well...
And how would he know how to navigate through the mycelial network?
-Uhhh... Listen, just shut up already!

Really loved the oxygen mask that is not connected to any sort of oxygen tank. Where is it getting the oxygen from?

The interior of Discovery makes no sense whatsoever. From external views, the shuttle dock seems to take up 30% or more of the ship. Its ceiling and floor appear to be flush with the top and bottom hulls of the ship body. Yet when we get a peek behind the walls, the ship has vast amounts of empty space inside. Zareh looked like he fell at least 20 stories from the turbolift, which was moving laterally (meaning that it was traversing through the lower part of the ship where the shuttle dock is, not through the "neck" part).

The Burn was ultimately just about some toddler having a screaming fit? Ugh.

The Emerald Chain, which was supposedly a powerful empire larger than the Federation, falls completely apart when Osyraa dies? Did they really not have any sort of succession plan? No military leaders who would wrest control?

Osyraa's top scientist gets a total pass for all the crimes he's complicit in because, what, he seems like he's actually a nice guy? Is he joining the crew of Discovery next season?

Will the crew really need to wear those ugly gray uniforms next season?

So many disappointments with this episode. These barely scratch the surface.

·
Registered
17,152 Posts
Sadly, I have to agree with all the complaints. The writers really twisted themselves into knots inventing new "science magic" explanations to conveniently resolve everything.

We need to use the spore drive but Stamets is off the ship!
-Uhhh... Have Book do it.
How can Book operate the spore drive, which is specifically tied to Stamets' DNA?
-Uhhh... Because he's an empath?
So any empath can use it, then?
-Uhhh.... He's a special empath?
How does he know how to operate the spore drive anyway?
-Uhhh... Well...
And how would he know how to navigate through the mycelial network?
-Uhhh... Listen, just shut up already!

Really loved the oxygen mask that is not connected to any sort of oxygen tank. Where is it getting the oxygen from?

The interior of Discovery makes no sense whatsoever. From external views, the shuttle dock seems to take up 30% or more of the ship. Its ceiling and floor appear to be flush with the top and bottom hulls of the ship body. Yet when we get a peek behind the walls, the ship has vast amounts of empty space inside. Zareh looked like he fell at least 20 stories from the turbolift, which was moving laterally (meaning that it was traversing through the lower part of the ship where the shuttle dock is, not through the "neck" part).

The Burn was ultimately just about some toddler having a screaming fit? Ugh.

The Emerald Chain, which was supposedly a powerful empire larger than the Federation, falls completely apart when Osyraa dies? Did they really not have any sort of succession plan? No military leaders who would wrest control?

Osyraa's top scientist gets a total pass for all the crimes he's complicit in because, what, he seems like he's actually a nice guy? Is he joining the crew of Discovery next season?

Will the crew really need to wear those ugly gray uniforms next season?

So many disappointments with this episode. These barely scratch the surface.
This.

Well said JoshZ

·
Registered
17,152 Posts
Executive Producer/Co-Showrunner Michelle Paradise and Executive Producer/Director Olatunde Osunsanmi - along with stars Doug Jones (Saru), Blu del Barrio (Adira), Emily Coutts (Lt. Detmer), and Oyin Oladejo (Lt. Owosekun) - reflect on the finale's momentous change in leadership and share their predictions for Season 4.

·
Registered
866 Posts
...and yeah, it seemed like the Disco is the size of a small city inside, with a public transportation system to match. All that empty volume made no sense at all.
But, it WAS designed by a "veteran starship designer." And he also worked on other Trek projects, including Star Trek V! Imagine that...a guy who actually admits to having worked on Star Trek V:

·
Registered
27,240 Posts
But, it WAS designed by a "veteran starship designer." And he also worked on other Trek projects, including Star Trek V! Imagine that...a guy who actually admits to having worked on Star Trek V:
The design work in Star Trek V was fine. It was the poor model building, photography, and compositing from a lowest-bid contractor SFX house that failed that movie. (And also, of course, the script.)

Reactions: Stanton

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
I have mixed feelings about the finale. On the one hand it was good to see a Star Fleet Commanding Admiral (excellently portrayed by Oded Fehr) recognize that even someone as unorthodox (and at times downright rogue) as Michael had great value as Discovery's Captain because she gets it done (and Michael did look great in the Captain's chair wearing her spanking new uniform). On the other hand, how the last two episodes got there wasn't all that good. I didn't care for how the writers explained what caused the Burn. They certainly could have done better than the emotional scream of an abandoned Kelpian child. It just didn't hold up. I also felt that Book became too much of a "go to" solving too many problems. Jake Webber was kind of wasted in E12-13 as opposed to his first appearance in E3. Oh well, all told, the season was overall pretty good to very good so we'll see what Season 4 brings.

·
Registered
866 Posts
The design work in Star Trek V was fine. It was the poor model building and compositing from a lowest-bid contractor SFX house that failed that movie. (And also, of course, the script.)
Yeah, Final Frontier seems to have been jinxed! They also wanted to get Sean Connery to play Sybok, but they couldn't. They wanted ILM to do the VFX, but couldn't get them either. There were problems with a looming writers' strike IIRC. And that script seemed to crap all over characters who the fans loved, having them do things that went against their natures, like Uhura's fan-dance and Scotty hitting his head slapstick-style on a pipe. While Shatner deserved most of the blame for the result, to be fair he did have some good intentions and big ideas that were more "Trekian" than some of the other features Paramount subsequently turned out.

Speaking of "more Trekian," did anyone else wince when that they played the TOS closing theme over the end credits of this awfully lame Discovery season finale? They've done it before (at the end credits of the Season 1 finale) but this time it seemed sort of out-of-place!

·
Registered
27,240 Posts
Speaking of "more Trekian," did anyone else wince when that they played the TOS closing theme over the end credits of this awfully lame Discovery season finale? They've done it before (at the end credits of the Season 1 finale) but this time it seemed sort of out-of-place!
I wince every time the Discovery opening credits theme transitions to the TOS theme at its last few seconds. And that happens every episode.

Reactions: Keenan

·
Premium Member
9,317 Posts
I wince every time the Discovery opening credits theme transitions to the TOS theme at its last few seconds. And that happens every episode.
Of course it will. Opening credit theme music normally never changes.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
I guess my disappointment has many sources.

First, the failure to pay off on big Trekkian themes. Like finding themselves in a world of scarcity, where energy sources are at a premium. This is exactly the kind of allegory to the present that Trek has always been known for. Politics vs profit vs ordinary people's lives. Trek should have been able to run with this, drawn all sorts of parallels to the real world, and instead we got a kid screaming.

Next we had the detour to the Mirror Universe which may have been entertaining to some, but which served the corporate purpose of launching Georgiou into her spinoff more than any story goals of this season. Two more episodes wasted.

There was all the farting around about who would be the captain and who would be the First Officer, none of which paid off in any worthwhile way.

There was the ongoing lack of character development for the bridge crew. There was Michael's lack of a normal speaking voice. There was the big buildup over the sentience of the Sphere Data with the tease of a payoff in the finale, which then didn't really happen.

So many false notes, so many wasted story elements. The more I think about it in detail, the unhappier I get, so I think I'll stop for now.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Yah, I agree 100% with everyone's complaints, its not like I'll stop watching though. For me, too much focusing on the characters, touchy feely, gay couples, good over evil, death scenes where we know no one is going to die. I just want action and science fiction, character development I could care less about.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
I for one am sad to have to wait another year for another episode.. Yep could have been a lot better story line and less PCness, but it was far better than most of the crap release over the past year.. It was my Friday night escapes from this reality we live in..

·
Registered
20,605 Posts
While I may not have enjoyed everything this season, I did like where we ended up. Thought this was a well done episode that had just enough of everything. In the end, as with any long running property things need to change for a new generation of fans. All I can hope is that this show can keep just enough of old fans and enough young fans/new fans to continue the ST Universe well into the future.

·
Registered
657 Posts
How many of you folks agree with me that the admiral should have accepted Osyrra's offer?

It was a good offer, by the Admiral's own assessment. She was willing to accommodate further demands, including her own resignation. But asking her to face trial, presumably under retroactively applied Federation law, was not reasonable, and she could not possibly accept. Her offer, and the risks she took to be in a position to make it, were already acts of extraordinary desperation. But the admiral's decision made it clear that only by completely destroying the federation could she possibly survive. This made it inevitable that many more people would suffer and die (including, as it turned out, the crew of the giant ship that took Discovery inside - not just Emerald Chain military, but slaves and servants too).

She was no angel, and had given many people and peoples cause to hate her. But no one who has been in charge of any large government for any length of time has been particularly good, to the best of my knowledge. If they don't create terrible, awful and evil policies of their own, they continue them. If she was in fact unusually awful by the standards of her own people, they might have brought her to justice in the end. We have no reason to think hat her proposed armistice included federation protection from such justice - she only agreed to resign after the admiral implied it might be necessary.

I considered the possibility that he saw her as a threat to his own position. It is obvious that the general is something close to a dictator in his own right. We've never seen the rest of the federation government, and few democratic governments would have given him carte blanche to negotiate a settlement. But once she agreed to resign, she was no threat to his position. So it makes no sense from that perspective either.

His action was not consistent with federation history. They made peace with many peoples who had done bad things without requiring such terms of vengeance.

When any major government falls apart, the people possessing advanced scientific and engineering knowledge, as well as those controlling the advanced technologies and weapons systems, sell their skills, knowledge, and systems to whomever they can. (E.g., Nazi Germany. The Soviet government. Etc.) That creates all kinds of chaos. Osyrra's offer made it possible for the federation to buy these people's knowledge, science, and take control of these technologies and weapons systems, in an orderly fashion. It was the right choice.

I don't know how much of that chaos the show will present. But in the real world (or, since this is Star Trek, worlds), it would happen.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
I agree that it was strange to see the admiral negotiating an agreement, but in ST shows you rarely see anyone from the Fed gov't anyway. Seemed like a shortcut for the time they had to present it on the show. It's been odd from the beginning that the admiral IS the Fed though.

I could go both ways with the Chain, but fall down on the side of we're not going to trust an evil group that enslaves its people. We've seen what happens in our history when slavers are forced to give up free labor.

2721 - 2740 of 2745 Posts