AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw the Star Trek motion picture DVD set (I think 8 or 9 DVDs) at Costco for $150. Does anyone have these and is it worth it?

Vas

·
Registered
132 Posts
I personally do not care for the Star Trek movies #5 and after #6 (#8 is okay, depending on what mood I am in :) ), so for me, it is not that great. In addition, they are going to be releasing a new version of Star Trek 2 this summer, so the one included in the box set will be inferior and out dated. If you like all of the movies though, it may be worth considering, even if you have to pick up the new #2.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Hi vas,

I wouldn't bother with the initial Star Trek movie releases as they are not the best quality. As William mentioned, all of the films are being re-issued to provide "marginally" better transfers.

The bulk of the earlier Trek films are not the most spectacular film stocks in the first place. I bought the newer 2 disc Star Trek The Motion Picture directors edition and was really disappointed. The trasnfer is packed with artifacts that could stand to be significantly reduced. Most of these films look very soft to begin with and there is not much you can do about it. It is not until you get to First Contact that you end up with a good quality disc.

If you buy the old set you get the original releases, but not the greatest quality. Wait for the new discs if you don't mind revised editions, or if you enjoy all the extra features.

All that said, the directors edition of The Wrath of Khan will be released on August 6th, and I am looking forward to it. The third film should be out before the end of the year.

Howie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.