AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears that UHD is starting to play plenty of good Universal catalog movies now, so if you can deal with the occasional commecial and huge station bug, this appears to be their first showings of any Star Trek movie (let alone two concurrently).

It will be interesting to see if they are shown OAR with full, proper 5.1DD.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi /forum/post/14216726

It appears that UHD is starting to play plenty of good Universal catalog movies now, so if you can deal with the occasional commecial and huge station bug, this appears to be their first showings of any Star Trek movie (let alone two concurrently).

It will be interesting to see if they are shown OAR with full, proper 5.1DD.

Star Trek is a Paramount title, and UHD has been showing a few Paramount catalog titles lately, Private Parts is a example of that.

·
Banned
1,026 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi /forum/post/14216726

so if you can deal with the occasional commecial and huge station bug,

Can't deal with those. Rather watch the DVD via the Oppo 983, the best upconverting player around.

·
Registered
18,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, the UHD bug isn't all that bad, it's just for enjoyment. If I entended it for archival purposes it would never do. I have a stunning transfer of First Contact in OAR 5.1DD off HBO that they run occasionally. One of their last OAR transfers before they started to crop.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
hope they at least do it in Widescreen.

whenever FC is on SCIFI HD its WINDOW BOXED.

OAR would be nice too, i think SHOwtime was airing ST insurrection in OAR.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Pros:
  • UHD generally shows movies in OAR, with pretty good PQ for cable HD.
  • The selection of movies, while still not very broad, has improved.

Cons:
  • The station bug is more obnoxious than necessary.
  • Commercials. At least the number of them isn't too bad compared to TNT or some others. Ironically, when they were commercial-free for movies the selection was very poor, and now that the movies are better there are commercials. Or maybe that's why the movies are better. Advertisers won't pay for junk.
  • Occasional brief on-screen animated graphics promos when coming out of commercials.
  • Those commercials are WAY TOO LOUD compared to the movies. I have to be ready with the remote to quickly mute or else I'd wake the whole house. Especially obnoxious is the loud graphic with the metal balls that precedes the return to the movie.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Yes, the commercials are beyond loud. I have the alter the volume by 150% to deal with them, which means, of course, I am hitting MUTE instead.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Good movies......garbage channel. Do lovers of film actually watch edited and commercial filled movies? I can't bring myself to do it.....I'd puke blood. It's just.....so.....wrong. The channel is dis-respecting the film. If I would watch it.....I'm no better than UHD. I stopped watching UHD the very day they rammed their own heads up their yinyangs.

No thanks.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Well, I've watched a few movies on there, but only after recording on the DVR so I can skip the commercials quickly. Also, I don't think the movies are edited. It's not ideal, but not a terrible way to catch some films missed otherwise.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
I watched this movie tonight on UHD.

It was in 2.35:1 OAR and of course had a few commercial breaks and even a few big popup ads at the bottom for "South Beach"

·
Registered
2,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo /forum/post/14230323

Did anyone notice that the sound was out of sync on First Contact.

Watched it on D*.

Yes, terrible sync issues throughout the movie, sometimes as much as 200-300ms.

Great video transfer though.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm88 /forum/post/14230460

Yes, terrible sync issues throughout the movie, sometimes as much as 200-300ms.

Great video transfer though.

I've noticed this multiple times on UHD the last few days. My receiver can only correct 100ms so First Contact was out of sync (but looking good). I noticed bad lip sync watching some of the Olympic Trials on UHD too, though not as bad as First Contact.

Haven't watched Search for Spock yet. Hopefully it's better...

·
Registered
2,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtype_0087 /forum/post/14234204

Haven't watched Search for Spock yet. Hopefully it's better...

No significant audio sync issues on Star Trek III. It's a decent transfer, with all that old film grain and noise showing through.

Now if they could only do something about those super loud commercials and pop up ads.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
I just watched First Contact (DVR) and believe it or not the audio sync is perfect. I am real sensitive to sync issues and I gawked at it straining to detect any issue. It is perfect. Recorded from BuckeyeCable.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts